Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Better than Norton?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KwonTchii
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 05:24:51    Post Subject: Better than Norton? Reply with quote View Single Post

So I was in voice chat with some of my buds gaming and mentioned that I was using Norton AV as it is provided free via my cush Govt job... And was subsequently ridiculed.

Apparently it is quite the resource hog. With that in mind, is there a preffered program (free or not) that protects as well as Norton without slowing down an older system? My gaming rig doesn't really notice any difference, but the wife's system is really showing it's age. We are about to upgrade her, but the kids are getting her system when we do, so...

Wife's rig (old dell 2.8 gig proc, 2 gig pc2700 RAM, PCI graphics) is getting slow when she tries video chat with the family back home. (we are military stationed overseas)

Thanks for any help in advance!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:54:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I usually put AVG on every system I build for people. Seems to be really easy on the system, updated regularly, and all the protection of Norton/Symantec.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:21:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Personally and professionally, I choose Kaspersky. Updated definitions every 3 hours, decent spyware protection as well.

Small on resources, except when doing full scan.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:14:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Funny thing... is by all reports they all work pretty much the same. None is better/worse than the others when doing their primary job. McAfee's generally seems a little better than the others, but it is a big resource hog.

I would honestly not suspect Norton's as her primary problem. I would suspect unless the system has had some tender loving care, that's what it really needs.

1) Remove all unused applications
2) Remove as many tool bars, and free "game" software as possible (it's mosly just spy ware)
3) Install and run several Anti-Spyware applications (Like Windows Defender, Spybot, Search & Destroy, Adaware - Pick 2 or 3).
4) Run a system defrag. If you don't have a commerical defrag program and you use the one included in windows, also use this: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PageDefrag.mspx to defrag your pagefile.
5) Remove from your startup (in both the registry and the startup group) as much junk as you can, you don't need most of the stuff in there.

If all else fails, try formating the drive and reloading the OS and only the applications she needs. Of course backup your stuff first Grin

Hope that helps!
KwonTchii
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:50:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I have long since cleaned the registery, defrag regularly, and we don't have any software loaded that we don't use. I have Spybot, Windows Defender and Norton Internet security for the the spyware, and make sure to run them regularly.

Basically, I have covered all the basic stuff already and that's why i was asking about the less resource intensive products.

I think Ill check out a couple of those you fellas mentioned. Thanks!
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:20:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am almost ashamed to admit how long I used Norton AV. I finally dumped it in favor of AVG and now realize how much of a hog NAV really is.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:57:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dump Norton. AVG is great. Avast i pretty good to. I believe AVG has a for sale product that also does spyware, but haven't tried it. some other anti virus progs are Kaspersky and nod32. All seem to work reasonably well, and use less resources than NAV
Boo Boo

Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:19:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Dump Norton. AVG is great. Avast i pretty good to. I believe AVG has a for sale product that also does spyware, but haven't tried it. some other anti virus progs are Kaspersky and nod32. All seem to work reasonably well, and use less resources than NAV

I agree; any one of those A/V products (AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, NOD32) are fine for protecting your machine.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:28:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

bah... just use Mozilla Firefox...

Since I've started using Firefox, I haven't had a need to use an AV or anti-spyware program at all. Not an infection or mal-ware issue in two years.. I occasionally run Ad-aware just to check, but all that turns up are about a dozen cookies of questionable content.
Zenphic
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:18:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Either ways, best way to have a healthy computer is smart surfing: don't click, visit or view anything that is suspicious. Also remember to check Google to see if something's legitimate.

Other than that, AntiViR or NOD32 + Spybot's Immunize and SpywareBlaster ftw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: