Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ASUS EN7200GS/HTD/128M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:37:18    Post Subject: ASUS EN7200GS/HTD/128M Reply with quote View Single Post

ASUS EN7200GS

Coworker got this card for his HTPC. Tried installing the video driver and all that happens is it results in a black screen with blinking cursor. restarting results in windows xp logo freezing.
to unload video driver - start in safe mode and uninstall them.

We have tried drivers from the CD, Nvidia.com, and ASUS (but only found EN7100 and EN7300).

Anyone ever seen this issue with the black screen with blinking cursor?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:23:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok, I pin pointed the issue.

Issue is having the nvidia video driver installed and having the hauppuage pvr 150 tuner card in the PCI slot (tuner driver installed or not).

If I disable the tuner card (via device mgr) I can boot into windows fine. If it's enabled and nvidia driver exists, it will lockup during winxp load screen.

Way around it: disable tuner card in device mgr, then reboot, windows loads fine, enable tuner card in device mgr and everything works fine.

Note: if I disable video card, reboot, and enable it crashes to the black screen with blinking cursor.

Any ideas? Hauppuage apparently doesn't reply to tech support email...might have to see how their support is on the phone Sad
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:37:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I had the same problem with the ATI 1950 for my HTPC. The problem was it was not sending the video to the correct output.

I ended up having to set up a monitor, along with the TV connected, and force it. It did take me a while to get it to be forced properly though, I don't know if it was a problem with the cables, or the HDTV output box they provided.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:13:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hmm, well right now its just connected via VGA. I also tried it in the dvi port and got the same result.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:48:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This whole thing is really pissing me off.

to recap:
hauppuage pvr 150 and video card installed into MB.
update nvidia driver
system crashes (black screen with indefinitely blinking cursor)

same thing happens with a hauppuage pvr 500

works fine with just the video card installed with nvidia drivers
works fine with onboard gpu and hauppuage (with nvidia driver)

also works fine with ati hdtv tuner instead of hauppuage card

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
should I waste more time with this? or just buy another tuner card and say F U to hauppuage cards...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:14:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Could it be a power issue? Confused
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:35:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I doubt power would be an issue. Using Sunbeam NUUO 550W SLI PSU...and would the hauppauge really use more than ATI HDTV card?

There is some complication with the tuner/video/mb/chipset combo...on my HTPC I have an antec 430w, so again I doubt it's power.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:50:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm... Ok. Just a thought. Sounds like a driver issue then.

To be honest I used their MCE PVR and it had some strange issues which I was pretty sure was the drivers.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:56:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think it is some driver issue too, but not sure which ones are at fault.

Can't be the Hauppuage drivers, cuz it will crash with/without them.
Don't think its the nvidia driver for integrated GPU (geforce 6150), maybe both nvidia driver for 7200gs and 7600gs.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:23:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This was an email from the Hauppuage support.
Quote:
If the card works on another system, then there is an incompatibility issue between the boards and your Gigabyte motherboard. It most likely is a resource issue. You could ask Gigabyte for help, but that could take a while or they are no longer support updates for that motherboard.

At that point your only option is returning the boards. We could ask Gigabyte for help also, but we cannot guarantee that they will help us and if they do it would take some time to resolve the issue. We would probably have to first get that specific motherboard and test it. This whole process would take some time if approved by my superiors.

If you return the boards, I don’t recommend that another Hauppauge tuner card would fix the problem. Maybe a USB based board but not a PCI model.

I would rather get another video card than a different tuner card. Which would be a better bet with compatibility, new 8xxx geforce card or some ATI card? it needs to be passive cooled and it needs component out (red, green, blue cables). if ATI card, which series? it has been many years since I have used an ATI video card.

Which one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: