Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Video Card Underclocking, Geforce 7900GT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vileguy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:30:00    Post Subject: Video Card Underclocking, Geforce 7900GT Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey guys been a while since I've been active on the forums. You guys really helped me with picking parts for my new computer but now I have a problem. My computer, specifically the video card, seems to be overheating a bit; I'll be playing a game and the graphics start bugging out and if I try to play through it, my computer will likely lock up for a sec before restarting. I believe that underclocking my video card might temporarily solve the problem until I get an air conditioner. To the best of my knowledge the heat sync is fine and my computer overall runs well. I also plan on getting a PCI fan to improve circulation. Any tips on how to do this or a better way to solve my problem? My drivers should be up to date too, I just don't know how to use the BIOS or update the firmware on my comp.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:45:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

try to run a game and alt-tab outta it and check your GPU temps.
vileguy
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:57:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm pretty sure this is the problem as it happens during hot weather or times of the day, but I believe when I checked it said something like 75 degrees celcius and it's set to slowdown at 130 degrees

I'm really just looking for a way to lower my video cards's heat generation as I do not really need the performance I'm getting out of it atm

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:30:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does it work ok if you leave the side off your case? If so, you should just bite the bullet and improve case flow. I would think you use the same programs to down clock as you would to overclock. Coolbits seems to be popular, but I haven't used it in years, so I don't really know if it has an underclocking option.
Beyond that, If you have a stock hsf on your video card I would look into removing it, cleaning the goo off and using AS5 (or something similar) and re- attaching. If that doesn't fix it, maybe a new gpu cooling solution.
Have you always had this problem or did it just start recently? If it is a recent problem, your troubles may be fixed with a thorough case /case fan cleaning.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:20:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The 7900 series had serious issues with overheating at one time. Be sure to check whether your warranty and get in touch with them to get it replaced. Depending on the version of it, it could be one of the ones with the issue.

Otherwise, what acrux said is the best option. Yes, Coolbits allows you to underclock your card, that is what many manufacturers had people do for a long time. Also, I think RivaTuner will work as well.

If you want to replace the stock heatsink/fan I would recommend checking out Arctic Cooling's coolers, Zalman or Thermaltake. Again, be sure to check the manufacturers policy on changing the heatsink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: