Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
8800GTS installed, buggy
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:21:26    Post Subject: 8800GTS installed, buggy Reply with quote View Single Post

Just installed the card last night. I uninstalled the old driver, rebooted into safe mode, ran driver cleaner, then rebooted and installed new driver. Now, when I open the nvidia control panel, the whole thing is blank. And, when I select classic view, it too is blank, just a white box. I called tech support for EVGA, they had me reinstall the driver. That didn't help. They're supposed to look into it and get back to me. Has anyone seen this?

Another strange thing that happened after I installed that driver is that HL2 won't start, it says it won't respond, or something, can't remember exactly. And if I try to run FarCry I get a memory error message, and I can't play that either. Has anyone had these problems?

I've been having some crashing problems, I wonder if my memory is ok.

thanks

G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:59:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What card did iyou have in there before? The 6800GT in your sig? If so, drivers shouldn't be that big a deal since they're the same class, right?

How much juice does that 8800GTS need? Maybe the 480W unit in your signature isn't enough?!?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:03:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
How much juice does that 8800GTS need? Maybe the 480W unit in your signature isn't enough?!?

I'd point to this first.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:04:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A world where 480W isn't enough? :shudder:
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:37:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
What card did iyou have in there before? The 6800GT in your sig? If so, drivers shouldn't be that big a deal since they're the same class, right?

Yeah, I had that 6800GT (guess I better change that). The power requirements are 400w, so i should be fine. The card works, the settings can be adjusted in-game, it's just that the control panel is a blank box. You'd think it would be the driver, but I've reinstalled it twice now, and used driver cleaner and all that.

G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:49:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Requirements are 400W for what? A typical system with that card? Might be worth adding up your system components for a real picure of need anyway.

Never heard of Driver Cleaner either... I just uninstall and start fresh. What is this, an app that does that for you?
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:04:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Requirements are 400W for what? A typical system with that card? Might be worth adding up your system components for a real picure of need anyway.

Never heard of Driver Cleaner either... I just uninstall and start fresh. What is this, an app that does that for you?

yes. it's supposed to be more efficient than simply uninstalling a driver, removes all the traces its left behind so you get a fresh install of a different driver. It's usually required to upgrade to 3rd party graphics drivers, i think.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:26:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Still got money that says it's your PSU.

Quote:
A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)

So by reading that I believe it means that card can draw up to 26A, you're PSU is only capable of putting out 18A on the 12V1 line (less on the 12V2 line).

Maybe that can be split, and they mean 26A total system use, which mean you need to make sure that you have that video card on the 12V1 line and nothing else.

Interesting read from PC Power & Cooling:
Quote:

8. ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?
With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you’d think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it’s not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply’s rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped” on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.

If you went with one of their 470W units it puts out 26A on 1 12V line. The bigger only put out more (and yes... I LOVE PC Power and Cooling).
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:30:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Additional note, that as far as I know other than PC Power & Cooling all PSU makers rate their PSU's at max power under a temp of 25C. Which is way cooler than it will really be used at. When you up the temp, you lower the out put.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:44:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I thought the minimum power requirement for an 8800 was 450w?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: