Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Transcend JetFlash 210 1GB Finger Print USB Flash Drive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:41:37    Post Subject: Transcend JetFlash 210 1GB Finger Print USB Flash Drive Reply with quote View Single Post

If you are concerned about the security of the data on your flash drive, then the Transcend JetFlash 210 1GB Finger Print USB Flash Drive may be just what you are looking for in order to ease your mind. The device allows you to protect sensitive data on the drive, and elsewhere on your system, with the simple swipe of your finger. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Cleem
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:23:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice review Jason, I liked how you included screenshots of the software too. It seems that in certain environments the scanner could be a useful tool to have. I had one question though. You note that you had some trouble with swiping your print on the drive. That actually has me a little concerned, because you are an experienced computer user; what if someone younger (like a kid) or an elderly person wanted to use one? How reliable are the scans - would it take a less adept user multiple tries to get it to work every time they wanted to use it?

On a related note, did you do any testing with a different fingerprint (from another person) or from a dusty glove or other device? Maybe if you have some free time you can try using your fingerprint off of materials to see if it works. That would be interesting to test out I think.

One last question. It seems like the objective of the fingerprint test is to ensure that only one user has access to the contents inside the drive. Common sense stuff. But isn't that the same thing as a password? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have the drive require a password before use, like a login screen before gaining access to Windovs XP? What advantage does the fingerprint have over a password, assuming the password can be remembered by the user?

((On a scary note, if I were to be killed by a crazed hacker looking for the contents on my flash drive, he would not gain access to it if my drive were password protected. However, he would have access to my fingerprint drive.))

Anyway, I know that is probably too many questions so I will go now. I'm writing way too much for my lunch break anyway. Have a good day.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:20:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Umm... Yes, you do need to make sure no one steals your security finger... good point. Laughing

I only used my own fingers for testing, and they were usually pretty clean. People (young and old) can use this, they just have to use it 'right'. It's not like a bar scanner where it just has to enter the field of view, or something. You need to drag your finger straight down the middle and take your time to do it about the same every time.
kdemasi
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:15:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Another good security option for your USB flash drive is http://www.stompsoft.com/portable-vault.html Stompsoft's Portable Vault. It uses a strong 256 bit Blowfish encryption algorithm. It is fully compatible with all USB disc and flash drives. I have been using this product for 8 months on two different USB flash drives. I am very impressed at useful this product is considering that it retails for less than twenty dollars.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:49:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

kdemasi wrote:
Another good security option for your USB flash drive is http://www.stompsoft.com/portable-vault.html Stompsoft's Portable Vault. It uses a strong 256 bit Blowfish encryption algorithm. It is fully compatible with all USB disc and flash drives. I have been using this product for 8 months on two different USB flash drives. I am very impressed at useful this product is considering that it retails for less than twenty dollars.

Good point, the Trascend flash drive I reviewed in the past had this software built-in. It worked well, but we weren't trying to break it.

Fingerprint and password security both have their flaws. Fingerprints can be reproduced (people have already done this.... google it!). Passwords can be keylogged, observed, or guessed.

If you seriously have data this important then you should consider doubling password protection with a fingerprint scanner and a password. No data is 100% safe....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: