Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
VOIP for Professionals (or...those closely resembling them)
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:55:18    Post Subject: VOIP for Professionals (or...those closely resembling them) Reply with quote View Single Post

As per BB's suggestion, I'm making a thread about this:

Hey,

I just got a new job here in Montana for a 70 user law firm that is wanting to trash the existing phone system (circa 1993 or so) with a VOIP system. The cool/stressful part of this is that I have been tasked with finding not only the best bang for our buck, but also the best service that we can get. Does anyone happen to have any links to good VOIP research sites, or know of anyone that I can talk with as time gets closer about this? My timetable: 3 months or so (which rocks)

Excited...but really confused...

LaTech

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:59:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Errrr..... Think about 1 thing... 9-1-1 & VoIP.

I'm kinda an expert on this, and let me just say. While I use VoIP at home, I still and always will have a land line.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:02:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

you saying the 911 implementation on VoIP is no good?

My office, and many others in the area are all VoIP... They must have done something for that.
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:15:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well...Montana isn't exactly on "the cutting edge" of technology...so I understand what you're saying. I'm looking into whether Helena has 911 service for VOIP and, if so, which providers.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:17:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

our VOIP goes through our T1 line...we have like 14 lines through it. It kinda sucks with the internet though...but we got business DSL for the majority of internet usage.

my advice, dont split a T1 in half for intetnet.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:43:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:

My office, and many others in the area are all VoIP... They must have done something for that.

I'm saying.. I would NOT risk my life on VoIP 9-1-1. It is not what I would call... "reliable".

Can't say too much more, so just trust me on this. Trust in this order
Land line, Cell Phone, two cans & string, Carrier pigeon, Yelling out windows, message in a bottle, VoIP.

OOO And don't trust any of them but Land line.... The cell phone MIGHT be really good, just depends... so that is sorta unreliable.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:01:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Big Bruin wrote:

I'm saying.. I would NOT risk my life on VoIP 9-1-1. It is not what I would call... "reliable".

Land line, Cell Phone, two cans & string, Carrier pigeon, Yelling out windows, message in a bottle, VoIP.

OOO And don't trust any of them but Land line.... The cell phone MIGHT be really good, just depends... so that is sorta unreliable.

I'd trust yelling out of a window more than a carrier pigeon.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:00:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Having worked in the ISP and telephone industries, I can tell you this, you better have a damn good internet connection.

I've seen VOIP cut out with even low-mid quality settings on 6mb connections. ...for just (1) one VOIP line.

"You know that deal we have going with {lose synch}Assoc. for $1 million, well you {lose synch} the {lose synch}."

Last edited by knight0334 on Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:14:33; edited 1 time in total
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:25:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Big Bruin wrote:

Have to agree with EC's first post (might have gone off the deep end on this one)
As good as VoIP can be you need at least one outbound landline for emergencies, and a few inbound to cascade (forward) from the VoIP line should it go down or become overloaded. also FAX machines are not always reliable with VoIP
because of those requirements I would tend to go with a traditional/major business carrier that can offer an integrated package of local service numbers with outbound VoIP, 800 numbers, etc with hardware and broadband service. whatever you might need now and in the future.
skype, vonage, packet 8 aren't going to cut it for a multimillion $ lawfirm
Level 3, verizon,AT&T etc. won't save you as much as a cheapy home brewed solution, but reliablity, QOS and 5 9's uptime SHOULD be alot more important to you

start by researching the industry rags

http://www.tmcnet.com/voip/
http://www.fiercevoip.com/
http://www.voipreview.org/
then consider all your needs, and solict some bids
Replacing your existing PBX isn't going to happen overnight

avoid proprietary equipment, and small time operations, you need a single number/ acct, rep to call should problems arise, with "MAKE IT WORK, NOW!!" language in the contract (financial penalties for ANY downtime)
consider what an hour, half a day or longer without phones/internet/contact would do to your firm and their clients.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:12:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doesn't Cisco make a good VOIP equipment package?? ..if that who I'm thinking of.

A strong IP connection would be needed though.. figuring 70+ lines, possible in-use rate of 50+ percent at 64kb-128kb per sec per line.

I can tell you a T1 is only good for at best 24 lines at 56k analog/digital bit rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: