Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Mod Project
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHollman82
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:58:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Paper mache is not exactly fiberglass... but yeah, the idea of a "mold" has been around for quite a while... Laughing
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:06:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What about sculpey?
CHollman82
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:27:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Actually, here's a good idea. What about wire mesh? Not like fence material but a fine wire mesh like people put in their cars grill. Making it a sphere would be difficult though, well, not really but making it look good as a sphere would be. Then, the entire thing would be see through. I think it would look cool, at least what I am envisioning in my mind does...

To make it a sphere you would have to take a similar size sphere and cut it from pole to pole at even intervals, the more the better, and then flatten it out to see what a flat cut sphere would look like. Then, take the mesh material and cut it to look the same and then fold it into a sphere and connect the sides somehow, maybe solder.

Look at this stuff, 30 bucks for a 12" x 48" sheet that could be cut to make a 30" x 30" square. Buy 2 for $60 (the price of most cases) and you get 60" x 60" of the stuff, which should be more than enough for a few screw ups lol

http://www.autodirectsave.com/MeshGrille.asp
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:20:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Or, I could use that as the basis for the thing and then use firberglass over it...?

Thanks for the idea there CHoll (and others!)!

CHollman82
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:25:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That would work too, though I kind of liked the see through industrial look, but its your mod...
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:26:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

These guys have hollow plastic spheres up to 90" in diameter:

http://www.complexplastics.com/balls/index.htm
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:47:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just curious - you ever do anything on the sphere project?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:11:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Unfortuantely, no. It ended up that the sphere I was looking for WAS made, but it would have cost me about $300-$400...which was about $250-$350 more than I thought it would be. I scrapped the idea shortly after that.

I looked into the other ideas of making a sphere, but was worried about stability and static issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: