Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
RIAA Backs Rootkits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:36:47    Post Subject: RIAA Backs Rootkits Reply with quote View Single Post

of course they do...

Quote:
RIAA president Cary Sherman has backed Sony's use of spyware rootkits and claims that other companies do it all the time.

Sherman said that music corporations have the same right to protection as movie studios, video game makers, or software companies.

He said that there was nothing unusual about technology being used to protect intellectual property. He said that you can't make an extra copy of Windows or virtually any other software. Why should CDs be any different?

theinquirer.net
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:18:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When will they give up?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:18:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Of course those a-holes do.

OOO And you CAN make a backup copy of your Windows CD.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:54:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

UH, yeah. backup copies. Sure.

You know that the rootkit can be foiled with a little bit of cellophane tape on the outer edge of the CD since the data was written as a second session so it's compatible with redbook audio?

And, correct me I'm wrong, but video game publishers have ensured copyright protection by using registration codes. In Microsoft's case, they've taken it a step further by requiring a code to match your hardware and then that gets in to a database when you do your activation. Halo does something similar for online play, but then they're owned by Microsoft so it makes sense. I know Black & White used to do something as well for their first version of the game.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:10:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I REALLY hate Microsoft's "hardware" database. I rearrange my equipment so much at home, and reformat my various systems so many times I think I have to call MS at least once a month for some reason or another. My workhorse system was just reimaged 3 weeks ago, and needless to say needs to be done again. Have a conflict I can't track down from playing with about 15 video editing/conversion apps Smile heheh

Just glad I have a legal volume license for Windows XP...

Kilamon wrote:
In Microsoft's case, they've taken it a step further by requiring a code to match your hardware and then that gets in to a database when you do your activation.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:26:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
You know that the rootkit can be foiled with a little bit of cellophane tape on the outer edge of the CD since the data was written as a second session so it's compatible with redbook audio?

Why not just install the rootkit, and be part of the class action law suit?
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:24:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Why not just install the rootkit, and be part of the class action law suit?

Because they'll settle with some pathetic coupon settlement like NetFlix did. At best, you'd see $10. It's not worth $10 to install a rootkit that hoses my machine and means I need to reformat just to be able to use my cdrom like I was able to before. I'd rather just not install the rootkit crap in the first place. Call me a hacker, call me crazy, whatever, but I just got my PC working exactly perfect last month and I'm not going to hose it up again.

The RIAA can kiss my a$$.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:28:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just show them some crappy old Packard Bell... complete with real burn marks coming from the optical drive... fake it and claim their rootkit did that to your machine!

Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:51:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Pretty much what one of the guys I work with did. Put it on some old POS system so he could put a claim in the lawsuit when it happens. No loss for him, but a dig into Sony for being stupid.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:27:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They have vlc copies of pro and its copyable on alchohol 120%...dont see what all the fuss is about...so someone comes out with a crack for itunes and it solves all this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: