Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
RaidMax Ninja 918 ATX Gaming Case
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:07:11    Post Subject: RaidMax Ninja 918 ATX Gaming Case Reply with quote View Single Post

Once again RaidMax has offered up a solid performing case with an excellent fit and finish. The power supply and AGP/PCI expansion card locking system are both improved over previous models and the Ninja 918 has a stylish look that will attract attention without being over done. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Tue, 02 May 2006 16:43:59; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Voldenuit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 01:00:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for a great review on the Ninja 918! I had recently bought one on the basis of your Samurai review (the Samurai being too expensive for me). However, I'd like to add a few points to your review if I may.

There is a variant of the Ninja 918 that has mesh front intakes instead of translucent plastic (I have said variant):

Theoretically, this should allow for freeer airflow into the case than the vented plastic version in your review.

The motherboard tray is removable. I haven't seen a single review mention this. This greatly adds to the convenience of installing into this case. However, the tray is only held in place with a single screw (there are additional screwholes to mount it, but they also fasten the right side panel onto the frame, making it less convenient to remove). Also, the tray is a little flimsy.

My case shipped with no PSU and 2 120mm fans (front and rear) as well as the 80mm side fan. However, the 120mm fans were pretty noisy - noisier than the 80 mm in fact! Closer examination revealed that the 80mm used NACA airfoil blades, whereas the blades on the 120mm fans were simple wedge-shaped airfoils, which are less efficient and stall easily (leading to turbulence and noise). I replaced both 120mm fans with Coolermaster Silent LED fans (42 CFM @ 22dB, 1200 rpm).

The edges in the main workspace are rounded off, but not in the less accessible areas (the fan mount and drive bays in particular). I managed to cut myself quite badly while mounting the front fan.

The fixed drive retention system means you can't adjust the position of drives. While my WD 3.5" HDD and Sony DRU-810 DVDRW fit *perfectly*, I had a much more difficult time trying to mount a 3.5" HDD in the floppy bay, and gave up for fear of obstructing my motherboard.

Anyway, after all my travails, I am still very happy with the case, but just felt that potential buyers be aware of its strong points and drawbacks.

Cheers,
V.
Voldenuit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:14:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

PS I'd also like to add that the Ninja is a wide case. I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon installed, which is a pretty tall cooler (138 mm tall), yet there is still clearance between the Big Typhoon and the 80 mm side intake fan. This should be good news to people wanting to install large HSFs (Big Typhoon, Beetle, XP/SI-120, CNPS9500, Asetek Vapochill etc).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:03:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Welcome Voldenuit! That is some good extra info to have, thanks. Wave

It is odd that they have multiple configurations of the same case... and even more odd that they didn't send what seems like the better configuration for review... Confused
Voldenuit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:56:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Welcome Voldenuit! That is some good extra info to have, thanks. Wave

It is odd that they have multiple configurations of the same case... and even more odd that they didn't send what seems like the better configuration for review... Confused

Thanks for the welcome Smile

I live in Malaysia, and my retailer mentioned that his distributor only carries one configuration of the Ninja. BTW, all 3 fans that came with my case were LED fans, but if the fans on your model were as quiet as you say, you may have gotten the better deal there.

Overclockers New Zealand carry the mesh intake variant bundled with 2 clear 120 mm fans and a 520W PSU. They also have the case in Blue.

I first read about the Ninja on www.caseclosed.co.uk, and they also had the mesh intake. (Sorry bout the link, but my connection to their server is always piss-poor for some reason).

The Raidmax webpage pictures the clear plastic configuration, and makes no mention of other variants. They also only have it in Black and Silver.

Which leads me to speculate that the configuration of the shipping product may depend on region? Confused
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:57:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wasn't aware that the website for Computer Power User Magazine linked to hardware reviews, but on the front page is a link to the Ninja Case Review...

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Cases All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: