Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Serener GS-L01 Fanless Mini-ITX Case
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:57:04    Post Subject: Serener GS-L01 Fanless Mini-ITX Case Reply with quote View Single Post

One of the newest products on the virtual shelves of Logic Supply adds that extra appeal of silence to Mini-ITX systems by eliminating the need for fans on the processor or anywhere on the case. The Serener GS-L01 Fanless Mini-ITX Case utilizes heatpipe technology and large aluminum fins on the exterior of the case to passively cool the entire system... - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Tue, 02 May 2006 16:45:41; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:04:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

WOW...that thing looks sweet...the mini market is getting bigger and bigger...i cant wait to see what the future brings...
vanaalten
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:41:10    Post Subject: Serener GS-L01 only ATA-33 IDE interface? Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I recently bought the Serener GS-L01 fanless mini-ITX case and just finished installing my old system in this new case. Everything is working perfectly fine, but I just noticed one thing:
My harddisk is detected by the BIOS as an ATA-33 device. There's also a message displayed about 'primary IDE not connected to an 80-pin cable'.

I'm sure the harddisk and mainboard are ATA-100, because I tested both together before building it into the Serener case.

Anyone else here using this case, and can tell wether his/her system is using ATA-100?

Thanks,
Matthijs
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:43:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi vanaalten! Welcome! Grin

I will check that for you tonight! I presently have the system showing the VIA logo during boot, so such an error may have gone undetected, but the performance didn't suffer after installation or I think I would have noticed.

Anyway, I will let you know what I find later!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:35:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

vanaalten - make sure you are using the right cable. My guess is you are using not using the correct ATA100/133 cable.

These are a little hard to see, but it's all I can find right not. Look at these two cables:

The one you are using, does it look like the one in the front, or the back? If it's the one in the front, then the cable you are using in not an ATA100/133 cable and that's what causing your problem.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:38:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Check the review Cheeze... no cables are used in this case! The HDD and CD are mounted to an included PCB which directly couples the two to the IDE headers on the motherboard. It really is a sweet design.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:58:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DOH!! Sorry I just glanced through it looking for a cable... didn't find one so....

BAD CHEEZE BAD!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:40:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, mixed results...

I got the No 80-pin cable error, and the BIOS shows it as a ATA-33 drive. But, since the performance never seemed to drop, I ran SiSoft Sandra's File System Benchmark.

First of all... This is a 10GB Fujitsu drive, which I know is 4200RPM, but I don't know much else. Not sure what class it is, but it has the model Number MK1517GAP, HDD2157.

So... Here are some "Drive Index" results as compared to similar drives in the Sandra database:

My test drive... 18 MB/s
ATA-100, 4200RPM, 60GB... 15 MB/s
ATA-100, 4200RPM, 20GB... 10 MB/s
ATA-66, 4200RPM, 20GB... 10 MB/s
ATA-33, 4200RPM, 6.4GB... 6 MB/s

So... the benchmarked performance exceeds ATA-100 speeds, despite the BIOS report.

Not sure what the deal is, but I will contact Logic Supply to see if they know.

Thanks vanaalten!

Grin
vanaalten
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:45:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Well, mixed results...

I got the No 80-pin cable error, and the BIOS shows it as a ATA-33 drive.
Not sure what the deal is, but I will contact Logic Supply to see if they know.

Well, I've contacted Logic Supply as well and got a reply back. They confirm that the interface board used in the GS-L01 is indeed not ATA-100 compatible. Their advice is, if this is a problem, not to use the interface board but to use notebook-to-IDE adapters and ATA-100 cables.

So don't bother to contact them for this. Well, maybe you should anyway - it may push them to make an ATA-100 interface board instead of the ATA-33 one.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I probably will replace the plastic heatsink-screws with some heavy-metal screws, but perhaps I'll also replace the interface board itself. Not that I really need the performance, but I don't like the idea that it's running crippled...
rinnan
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 05:11:42    Post Subject: Running too hot!!! Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello. I bought my Serener GS-L01 from East Luna, they didn't send me any instructions. I built it with an MII 12000, and am having some big heat trouble.

Firstly, I'll admit, it's all worst-case scenario. I built it with no instructions, with the standard plastic (not metal) attachment pins, I used the MII12000, not the M10000.

Also I live in Hawaii, and the ambient temperature is about 81 degrees (27 degrees celcius) indoors, where I am.

It idles at 64 degrees C, too hot. I don't even have the optical drive in yet (it's on order) and the case is still open. I did use (of course) thermal compound. Would another brand than what they gave me work better? Where do I get these metal pins or screws to secure the heat-pipe more tightly to the cpu and other chips?

I've built many computers before but never a fanless one. I hope I don't fry this puppy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Cases All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: