Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Is Linux For Losers?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:06:43    Post Subject: Is Linux For Losers? Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
NEW YORK - Theo de Raadt is a pioneer of the open source software movement and a huge proponent of free software. But he is no fan of the open source Linux operating system.

"It's terrible," De Raadt says. "Everyone is using it, and they don't realize how bad it is. And the Linux people will just stick with it and add to it rather than stepping back and saying, 'This is garbage and we should fix it.'"

forbes.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:23:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HAHAHA Theo's at it again. That guys likes to speak his mind. Gotta love it.

A letter to a soldier
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:19:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well... at least he is some what correct.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:27:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For anyone curious, this is a good op-ed about Linux and BSD, namely FreeBSD: http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

A letter to a soldier
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:37:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yay. Sum1 else agree's with me. To an axtent. I dont say linux is crap. Just sub par to a real operating system (though linux is not an operating system. Some know what I mean, others will get offensive because they dont get it.)

However i am freebsd.

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:39:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

damn taht still reminds me i gotta install debian on my linux partition...that will be my summer boredome project...wehn i get bored i will do that...
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:44:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree that Linux isn't as stable as it's reputed to be, however in comparison to windows, it's far better when setup and maintained correctly. As far as Linux and FreeBSD goes...FreeBSD, being UNIX, has the edge on Linux, because Linux is really just a clone of UNIX.

The thing that Theo fails to mention is that Linux is more of an experimental platform than UNIX. Linux has a new "stable" kernel release almost every month or less. Many include new features than the previous. As developers add in these features, they have to work out the bugs, and the only way to do that is let others find the one's they can't see, get the report, and fix it. UNIX, on the otherhand, often takes different ideas from Linux and the developers put them into their OS, just writing their own code. And they read up on all the problems with the Linux stuff, so they know more of "what not to do." They test it alot more before a release, and it's all around a more stable OS. I have yet to install UNIX, so I don't know all the specifics, but that's what I heard and read.

Depending on your wants/needs, Linux may be of more use to you than UNIX, or vice versa.

As far as *NIX users being losers....I can't speak for everyone, but I SURE AM!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:48:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i love that picture. However it should say linux not unix. That would be better.

I use BSD
I get laid about
as often as linux
Comoes out with
A new kernal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: