Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR Thermal Images
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:03:29    Post Subject: DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D/SLI-DR Thermal Images Reply with quote View Single Post

This time around we take a look at some thermal images of DFI’s latest creations, the Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D and SLI-DR. The majority of the images shown in this article are of the DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D with the exception of the last three. Everyone knows the importance of cooling computer components, and we'll see what areas on these boards may need extra cooling for optimum performance. - The Article

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:38:22; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Mastakilla
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:02:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

very kewl article

i really like the idea

there is one thing i think that should be done differently though

i know lots of people actively cool the PWM-IC area and the RAM which is nearby the cpu fan...
also for me this brings a huge stabilty increase when overclocking...

without active cooling i could clock to maximum 10x241Mhz and 10x246 allmost stable
with VERY active cooling on that area (loud 120mm fan) i could go as high as 10x260Mhz (i have a winchester 3200+ with a sucky memcontroller)

now this was all with a amd boxed cooler which, like yours, cools the RAM and PWM-IC area ALOT too...

i currently run 10x241mhz without active cooling, since i coulnt stand the noise

in the future i wanted to go for watercooling, and i would expect a major difference of heat of the RAM or the PWM-IC area

so actually i am more intrested in thermal pics of a watercooled system then an aircooled system (AND sucky airflow would even be better to show the problem areas Wink)

i also heart some people ask about the difference when u use the 4V option for the RAM on the DFI board (for which u would prolly need to test with some UTT or BH-5 mem)
personally i dont need those pics with my corsair 4400C25 mem @ 2.6V Wink but if u wanne be really complete...

but still, very nice article, hope to see a followup soon Wink
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:41:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

very nice spire...i see you busted out your works thermal cam again Grin ...hats off to you too asylum.
metro
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:32:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hello m8 i signed just for this, could you please take the same pictures (thermal ones) but using the 5v jumper and give the mobo at least 3.6v vdimm

im interested in the hot spots since many people is having problems with the jumper in 5v position

great article.

p.d. dont try to give those voltages to your g. skill you'll need son windbond chips.

p.d. 2 could you tell me whats the method you used to take this thermal pics, i have 2 nikon cameras one digital (d70) an non digital (N65 or something like that) i've been reading and i found that could be posible to take this kinda pics with some ir films (have some limitations but might work) i also found a company that sells specializaed thermal cameras, but were quite pricy.
BOMBOVA
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:39:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

[B]
I am in awe, of a few of the very hot spots your
thermal viewer photos reveal.
On occasion, I have used a temperature probe with readout.
Now your photos show myself, where i should try **
because I have missed some. My feeling over the years is that
the hot spots are areas of potential failure, or early failure, or
areas where performance could be degraded.
With disposable Motherboards , the cost to repair is high...
one can go for the best stable point for the best of performance..
That sort of raises the question 1. Just what is a stable point
for an overclock board. It seems, the maximum heat, that can be
sustained over a prolonged periond of use, * Like continually in
a RSS mode. OR ! ? The photos do amaze me. Thanks...

Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:17:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the comments everyone. Grin

It is possible to take some additional photos in the future, although it is a difficult proceedure for just a couple photos at a time. Perhaps after i do some mods or upgrades?
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:30:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, what he said ^^^

If you figure in the time to get the equipment ready (and packed home from the double secret laboratory), take the pic, transfer the images to a PC, process the image (they are in a temperature based proprietary format), then get them converted to .jpg, you might be looking at almost an hour per image, not to mention the time it takes to match it to a regular digital pic.

We can and plan to do some more stuff in the future, but getting just one pic is not worth the time.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:43:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I saw a thread discussing this review on ocforums: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=389979

With a link to an image someone made summarizing the hot spots... Simple, stick a chipsink where ever you see an arrow...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31648
tijgert
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 11:54:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Anybody wanna make a thermal image map like that for the DFI Expert?
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:31:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If we had an Expert board, we would image it in a heartbeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Motherboards All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: