Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
"New" speakers
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:01:37    Post Subject: "New" speakers Reply with quote View Single Post

Infinity Studio Monitor 120. $60.

The foam surrounds on the 12" bottom speakers are rotted, but I expected that before I went to look at them ($20 for a new foam kit). They have tone controls for mid and high in the cabinets, and I got the little stands with them.

They're old, but they sound a lot better than what I have which is nothing, and I think they'll do nicely for computer speakers. That stereo is a decent RCA with 4.1 surround, three disc changer, and tape decks that I got from my cousin's boyfriend for free (I had to fix it). It doesn't have an optical input, so I'm using an adapter and normal cables with RCA connectors from my soundcard to the stereo.

Pix of them, pix of me with them that was supposed to make them look big but didn't, then pix of them hooked to my comp. I have them hooked to my aunt's DVD player while I type.

What do you think?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:15:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ammm.... have you checked the Ohms on all that stuff? Most of those speakers are 8 ohms, while a mini system like that is most likey 4 ohms (possibly 6 ohms). You can damage those speakers pretty quickly if that's true.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:10:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmm... I don't know, I tried to find something out about them but haven't had any luck yet.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:13:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Stereo is 6 Ohms. I'll see about the speakers before I run it anymore.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:29:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i would have purchased a kickass logitech system myself (something equivalent to the old logitech 400w z560s...) or a 5.1 surround sound they have today... depending on how you like your music/games......

not a bad start i suppose. i have some old 4 foot long speakers around here somewhere... but mine are all rotted out too (the rubber is more like bits and pieces anymore) how did you find your replacement parts?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:30:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

the 5.1 Z640s are less than $50 nowadays... and I still think mine rock! Grin
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:48:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I want Z-680s because they have an optical input which is what I need. They're $250 though. I will have spent $100 between speakers, cable, adapter, and foam kit. Try feeling each pluck of a string with Z-640s...

If I find out my stereo can't power these, I'll sell them. If I can get $200 out of them after repairing, I'll take the cable/adapter back and then buy the Z-680s or keep the cable/adapter and just fix my smaller Infinities I have in TN.

JimBowy: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=30&ObjectGroup_ID=373

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:51:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll be the first in line to take those Infinities off your hands...

DIBS!!!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:27:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If the Stereo is ohms it MIGHT work, but $10 says it runs that little Stereo hot as hell!

And yea I like my Z640s too.... going to get another set for my SFF system I'm building to make them the "stereo" for my bedroom (hmmm p0rn in surrond... Laughing )

But now, they no way compare with my Onkyo/JBL main system. But they cost like 60 times less too... Laughing
wsm
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:32:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I cant think of a reason why running the 8 ohm speakers on a stereo that expects 4. Its just they wont be that loud. Guess you would have a better chance at clipping , distorting, the amp trying to get more sound out of it. which will hurt the speaker , but its not specficly related to what your loading onto the amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: