Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
should i think about moving to solid state?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankieB
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:19:01    Post Subject: should i think about moving to solid state? Reply with quote View Single Post

so I have the new system built and it is running great. I think i am going to run the other os's in a vm. This way i can keep the system more stable. Not saying that a dual boot would, but putting my money that win 7 will always boot. Smile so going down this path and looking to make my system even better, was thinking about moving to solid state. is this something that i should consider? or put the funds towards more ram?

thanks for the feedback.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:33:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For Windows 7 as the primary OS of the system... Yes, I think a SSD would be worth getting for speed's sake. Make sure you have a good sized hard drive to go with it for storage, and as a place to launch your VMs from.

RAM is still cheap - and SSDs are getting there.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:41:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I run a 64GB SSD for my OS drive and install programs and store data on a 1TB drive. Just don't mount your "My Docs" folder to the 2nd drive and you'll be fine...ask me how I know this Bang Head

Speed is great and game load times don't seem to be affected by being on a separate drive. OS loads nice and fast.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:42:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My Docs are on the second drive... You can use Windows to remap those kinds of folders and I have My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, etc all on my second drive. 128GB SSD here - with 2TB secondary HDD.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:14:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hate you... Laughing

Hopefully later this year we'll be doing some upgrades around the house and I'm planning to go SSD RAID0 (smaller 32 or 64GB drives) and then a standard drive for local storage. Don't need to big of one as I should have 6TB or so for storage on the server.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:36:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I never had a problem with mapping My Documents and the subfolders to other drives or partitions. Saved my butt a few times doing that.. ...kept all my files after being forced to format.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:12:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whatever I did corrupted Win7. Found an Technet article after the fact that said whateverI did was bad.
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:03:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Definitely go with an SSD boot drive if you can. There are many guides out there that walk you through optimizing Win 7 for the SSD, I'm not sure which is best but they all seem to do similar things, like moving temp folders, disabling prefetch, disabling indexing, tweaking caching, moving other folders to the larger spindle drive, etc.

The speed increase is pretty amazing. You won't be able to revert back once you get the SSD up and running.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:35:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the information. Helped me decide to get an SSD.
LovermanOwens
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:17:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey guys,
Speaking of SSD's there are a bunch of good prices for 128GB out there at Newegg. Take a look when you get time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: