Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Google Voice + OBi
Anyone tried these things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:00:43    Post Subject: Google Voice + OBi Reply with quote View Single Post

So I was looking at adding a 2nd line to the VoIP account because sometimes when the wife and I work from home at the same time (more likely to start happening more now with my new job), but I really didn't want to pay $30ish a month for that... So I looked around and found

An OBi 110 and hooked it up to google voice. BAM! Got a free VoIP number, and only spent about $50 on the adapter (ok, I bought a 2 line cordless phone too, but I was going to need that anyways). No monthly charges, and free US calling. Plus right now I have it linked to my cell phone so if you call my Google voice number it rings both at home and on my cell. Probably add my work number in as well and just my Google voice number as my work number.

No idea when/if Google will start charging for US based calling, but until then... FREE! King

So far voice quality is pretty good too. If I was sure they'd never change their prices, or what they would change them too I might just switch all my VoIP to them. I wonder when they'll be buy to collect my soul? Yikes Confused
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:38:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was looking at getting one of those... Member fatbastard has one and says it works pretty well, except that sometimes in-coming calls never ring. Do you ever get that? He says outbound is always fine.

I am doing something similar I mentioned in this thread...

http://bigbruin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34083

No OBi, but a mobile phone with no SIM that uses Google Voice for calls and texts when connected to WiFi.

May look in to OBi once we move...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:20:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Honestly haven't used the incoming feature enough to say. My little bit of testing works fine, and with Google voice you can have it ring to multiple lines, so you could also have it ring to your cell phone the same time (there abouts at least) as it does to your OBi device.

Of course yesterday an upgrade on my firewall blew it up, and then when I went to restore from back up it updated itself with out asking and hosed the configs... ugh. So now the OBi is down until I either start over from that FW or change out to Astaro (which is what I think I'm going to do).

Speaking of Astaro - they have a free home version (up to 50 IP's) that is the same as the full blown commercial version. NICE
skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:57:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been on Obi + GV for about 18 months and have no complaints (other than getting annoyed at people who call me).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 22:47:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Since we're moving and will have a brief disruption anyway, this may be the time to try this. Very few people use our home number, but I want to keep it... Just not at $28/month. I can't port straight to Google, but I can port to T-Mobile, where I will get a day-to-day plan and then port to Google.

Either of you use a 911 service with this - or is it not the main phone? CallCentric?
skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:21:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Since we're moving and will have a brief disruption anyway, this may be the time to try this. Very few people use our home number, but I want to keep it... Just not at $28/month. I can't port straight to Google, but I can port to T-Mobile, where I will get a day-to-day plan and then port to Google.

Either of you use a 911 service with this - or is it not the main phone? CallCentric?

I haven't had to call it (thankfully) but you have to program the obi to re-dial a 911 call. Basically, you call 911 from the phone, but the obi calls a different number - your local police emergency line. Thats the only drawback on the obi as far as I can see... and to me its not that huge.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:16:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:

[rant] VOIP SERVICE FROM ANY PROVIDER FOR 911 IS MORONIC!!! YOU ARE RISKING YOUR & YOUR FAMILIES LIFE IF YOU RELY ON VOIP 911. IP WAS NEVER EVER DESIGNED TO BE RELIABLE ENOUGH TO CARRY THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION AND THE CURRENT IMPLEMENT ION OF IT IS SO FULL OF HOLES AND VULNERABILITIES THAT IT WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN! [/rant]

No, I don't use it for 911. I have a land line for 911. Cell phone would be the next best option.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: