Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
BootVis/Boot Defrag Fails on WinXP Home.
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musafir_86
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:51:57    Post Subject: BootVis/Boot Defrag Fails on WinXP Home. Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello,

-I had recently reformat my friend's PC (AthlonXP 2500+, Abit NF7-S, 256MB DDR, 40GB, Radeon 9200) & reinstall WinXP Home (intg. SP2), then applied latest patches. Finally, I install device drivers (nForce UDA & ATi Catalyst 5.4).

-When I tried to use BootVis to optimize the boot-up process, the PC hungs (at time boot logo about to appear); but after tried several times (I reset the PC & choose "Start Windows Normally"), the problem still occurs. So I gave up & select "Last Known Good Config." & remove BootVis.

-Also, when I check HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction it said OptimizeComplete=NO & OptimizeError=Missing Registry Entries, but the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters contains ALL necessary parameters.

-After that I delete the contents of C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, reboot the PC several times, run Disk Defragmenter & re-run "Defrag.exe C: -B". Then, I navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction back but now it says OptimizeComplete=NO & OptimizeError=Insufficient Resource. Bang Head

Can anybody help me? Confused

Thank you.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:53:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Do this:
Start -> Run -> "msconfig"

Go to the startup tab. Do you have a lot of stuff listed here? If so, you might be running out of system memory before the BootVis process completes.

Another option would be trying to run bootvis and then restart into safemode (and see if bootvis runs there... - though I doubt it)

Musafir_86
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:59:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello Jim,

-The problem is (I guess) the boot tracing process get stucked during INITIAL stage of boot (when the XP boot logo about to show up). So the WinXP processes/services aren't into this prob 'cause they are still not loaded yet.

-As we know, nothing beside WinXP basic files will be loaded in Safe Mode. Rolling Eyes

-Musafir_86.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 02:10:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Right, I realized that once I said it Musa.

Some process has to be running thats conflicting with the bootvis tool. Have you tried searching Microsoft's Site yet about the BootVis tool? I'm sure others have had this same issue.....

Also, can you tell us more about the computer? When was the OS installed, does it have SP2? And all about the hardware.....

Musafir_86
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:37:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

-Sorry for the late reply; I have probs with my Net connection.

-Here's the PC's spec :-

[Hardware]
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.8GHz+)
Abit NF7-S (nForce 2 SPP + MCP-T) - latest BIOS
256MB DDR Dual-Channel RAM
40GB HDD (PATA)
ATi Radeon 9200 128MB AGP

[Software]
WinXP Home with SP2 & latest hotfixes/patches
nForce Platform & Audio Driver (latest)
ATi Catalyst 5.4
Abit-EQ
Silicon Image Si-3112A SATA RAID driver (from Abit website)

-Also, I've searched the MS website, but found nothing useful. Sad

Hope you can help, thanks.

-Musafir_86.
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 01:16:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Musafir_86 sorry I am not of much help here I gave up using boot vis long ago and I thought MS even dropped it because of problems with it. Good luck hopefully someone will come along who can help you.
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 01:19:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

its not the registry is it? i dont know much sorry...

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 02:05:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The only reason you are using Bootvis is trying to decrease boot loading time right? I've used BootVis in the past and didn't really notice much of a change if any change.

Run a 3rd party disk defrag tool like Executive Diskeeper 9.0 and remove the startup processes and the computer should start a lot quicker.

If that doesn't work, reinstalling windows is pretty simple... a pain.... yet simple...

Sorry I can't help you with your problem directly. Like I said the Microsoft Knowledge Base may be your friend here....

Musafir_86
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 07:14:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

-It's okay, I'll try your suggestions, or maybe I can lookup somewhere else for help...

(Some minutes later)

-Just now something flashed in my mind - the crash/hang occurs exactly at where WinXP started to initialize the basic devices (hence we (or just me) can hear the CPU Fan started to speed up).

[Reference : http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx ]

-So, I think there is something unusual (from the other PCs that I've been messing with) - that's S-ATA & RAID (yes, I have only touch those 'value PCs' during my lifetime!). Then, I start "Googling" (BootVis RAID) & I've found some people have to turn off their RAID before using BootVis.

[Link : http://www.short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1627.html ]

-Okay, when I have time, I'll go to that friend of mine's house, & then check it up again. If any progress found, I'll report it here.

Thanks again guys.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 06 May 2005 09:37:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm not sure how much having it installed is worth all the problems. Personally I'd recommend two things:

1) Upgrade RAM (256 really isn't enough, you'll see a MAJOR increase in performance going to 512MB... and it's not very expensive)

2) Depending on your HDD might be working getting a faster one. If your looking for a great value CompUseless has an 80GB Maxtor for $40 http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=301730&pfp=BROWSE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: