Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
The Tech Guy? I'm far from it....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
germ
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:16:21    Post Subject: The Tech Guy? I'm far from it.... Reply with quote View Single Post

This is just a venting.....so sorry....

But just because I like gaming, Just because I work in the tech field, just because I've learned to re-image a computer faster then a teenager can text. Doesn't mean I have all the answers to your computer needs.

Does anyone else get the weekly ( or even daily ) calls from your friends, neighbors, family members requesting you look at their computer because they have a problem or pop ups that won't go away?!?!
Here's one:
My neighbor came over the other day saying he had a virus. He said, "My wife says it's the Condom Virus"
I laughed.
I told him Virus's are called Trojans. And just because your antivirus program called it a "trojan" doesn't necessarily mean you got the "Condom Virus" LOL
I had to laugh. I tried to hide it...but couldn't help myself. Laughing

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy helping people get back up and running. I know exactly how it feels to not have your laptop or PC at your beck and call.....but.......do you really think you will win a free I-Pod by clicking on the flashing icon to your left when you are trying to download the newest movie still in the theater from a person or website you don't know anything about?!?! Censored
Whew, sorry....I didn't mean to go off on a Waaaaahbulance session becuase I know most of you are all in the same situation.
Have a good rest of the week...and stay clear of that Condom Virus!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:19:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ROTFL Yea, I get that all the time too. It sucks sometimes, but I enjoy it as well. What I've found to be the best is to give them some form of "training" while doing it. Hopefully if they have a few brain cells, they can pick up on things and learn to do them themselves.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:53:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I get that very rarely anymore. I made it known to everyone that I'm out of the computer hobby completely awhile back. For a while there I was getting hit up for info, advice and help from friends, family, their friends and family, co-workers, and people in China thanks to some damn interview I did(same with Charlie).

I only offer horse doctor advice now to everyone:

"Shoot it and go buy a new computer", "Next time get a real video card, enough RAM, and stop using Internet Exploder." "Also, if I find out you're downloading unlicensed/unpaid copies of media I'll turn you in to the law myself."
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:41:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The thing I don't like is when people at work (I work in IT), ask me a ton of questions about their home computer. A always tell them to use Crap Cleaner, and never use filesharing apps. A thing of the past is allowing people to bring home computers into work and they magically get fixed for FREE.

-------------

A few years ago I fixed up someone's home laptop to be able to connect into our VPN. He had some issue with it (I didn't look into it) and wanted me to fix it pronto. I told him I had no time at work to look into it. A few weeks ago he asked me again to look at it, and said that bringing the company laptop home is too much of a hassle. I said I was still too busy, but that I do side work when I am not on company time. He asked if I charged more than $10/hr; when I told him what I charge he was shocked and said it was too much. (I know he can afford it, and the funny thing is that his secretary didn't have any problem with my rates when I made a housecall a few weeks prior.)

Just last week he brought me his laptop and gave me some cash to get started. Apparently his AV ran out and he couldn't get the new one to install. But it is good that he hasn't been using it with old virus definitions for months.

-------------

Here are some videos to help make light of these annoying situations/questions from everyone that knows you have a little more knowledge of computers than they do.

Some funny videos
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:47:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No one asks me any more. I used to get it all the time, and I am not sure what I did to stop it, but I don't miss the hassle!
fatbastard
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:12:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The really scary thing is I still get asked and I am far from a techie....I think it is more because I can almost always point them in the right direction even if I can't fix it. Or I send Jason and email and he tells me Smile
germ
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:28:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok, those videos are great. Some of them I hadn't seen yet. Good stuff.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

gbronzer
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:20:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's honestly the only reason certain family members ever talk to me... sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: