Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
24v dc-dc converter for robot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seesoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:32:51    Post Subject: 24v dc-dc converter for robot Reply with quote View Single Post

hello everyone on the forum. well i have a summer project ahead of me and im at the point of my robot where i need to figure our my computer hardware.

the computer will have the following:
Pentium 4 i think it was 1.6gHz
20gb HD
512mb RAM
s simple crappy avg video card
i wireless card, either PCI or USB module, i have PCI but might use USB if less power is used
motherboard is a standard ATX

now about the video card, im not sure if the computer will run with the video card not detected, but if not can i get some sort of cheap USB video card and unplug it when i need to use the robot? or is there like a serial video card? lol

now about the DC-DC converter part. of the computer. the computer is the on board computer the robot will have, thusly it will be run by a battery which is DC so i would need the DC-DC converter for my computer instead of a normal ATX PSU. i can't figure out how much watts im gonna need and what kind of DC-DC converter i will need.

is there some other way maybe i can keep the normal ATX and then get some inverter from 24v to 120v?

any input comments would be appreciated, thanks
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:51:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... Where is the 24V coming from? There are DC to DC power supplies, but generally 12V DC to 12V DC. With one of these you could skip converting to 120VAC, which is used by a typical ATX PSU.

Perhaps a transformer from 24V down to 12V, and then a 12v-12V power supply...

I have the M2-ATX from this page -

http://store.mp3car.com/category_s/22.htm

And it does say it can accept input voltages as high as 24V, before converting it to the voltages needed in a PC.

And on the video card, I would have something on hand at least for setup, but you should be able to run without it if you wanted, once everything was set.
seesoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:27:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok cool, ya i was looking at the same
M1-ATX, 90w output, 6v to 24v wide input Intelligent Automotive DC-DC Car PC Power Supply: http://www.mini-box.com/M1-ATX-90w-Intelligent-Automotive-DC-DC-Power-Supply?category=13

the power for the computer will come from battiers duel setup, one for motors and one for computer, i might make it 2 for motors and 1 for pc.
depending on the motors i might get 24v or 12v version.
http://www.roboteq.com/robovia/electrical-diagram.pdf
seesoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:36:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok, well i did some reading tonight and i guess im cutting it short.

i will be getting the M2-ATX
it supports p4 and simple hardware setup, with added safety and other features.
seesoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

if anyone cares to follow along

Project: "Semi-teQ" (june 9th 2007)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: