Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
How to piss off a lazy teenager
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:11:19    Post Subject: How to piss off a lazy teenager Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing I make me laugh. So we have my wife's 17 yr old cousin living with us. She has for the last 2 yrs. We gave her a computer when she moved in (was my wife's system). Ever since she's had it, it's constantly breaking, and I'm having to fix it. I've already reinstalled windows like 4 times on it, replaced the HDD, NIC, rebuilt the whole thing with another spare system, etc...

AHHHHHH I'm sick of it. She just broke it again, but what looks like going to the wrong site and it gave her some nasty spyware that hosed windows.

So... today I bought her the "Windows XP All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies" and "Leo Laporte's PC Help Desk" books and told her to fix it herself. Laughing She's pissed off at me now. Tried coming up with excuses, and I wouldn't let her off the hook. Told her if she tries and get's stuck, and can tell me what she tried, I'll help nudge her in the right direction.

$20 says when she graduates in June and goes back to California she won't have touched her computer.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:23:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Better yet. Do what I did when my sister continuously b0rked XP on her PC and instead of coming to he aid and re-install XP, do myself and herself a favor and install some flavor of Linux.

About this time last year I got sick and tired of her with all the spyware on her pc and her nagging to me because she wouldn't take my advice to decrease her chances of it, I just got mt Fedora CDs, slapped them in, and started installing, wiping out anything she held precious (about 5 CDs ripped which she had laying, scratched, on her desk anyway. She was pissed at first, but after teaching her the basics and having a fairly strict you break it you fix it policy, she learned quickly how to keep it working. (I am only one with root pass, and do all her updates from my room with SSH Grin). Only thing she still cries to me about is not being able to play Spider Solitaire (and I always walk away laughing hysterically). One hear has passed and no need to reinstall anything yet...my plan to completely phase myself out is almost complete!

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:33:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

...tell her to stop lookin at pr0n and put mad parental controls on teh 1n73rn3t 3xplorer...
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:36:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Another solution I took at my parents' work....Uninstall Internet Exploror. Install Firefox and they have no choice but to use that.

Also tell her no more Limewire or Kazaa!
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:19:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Install linux Smile
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:22:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I installed/reisntalled Win98SE and/or WinXP Pro on the ex's kid's PC more times then I can count due to junk software, malware and spyware..

3 times in one week is the record for 7 days..

I'm at the point now that 95% of most people 21 and younger should never be allowed to touch a PC. ...and probably 70% of the people over 21.

There should be a licensing process for those allowed to use a PC.. first a written test, then a hands on test in front of an instructor.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:23:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
I installed/reisntalled Win98SE and/or WinXP Pro on the ex's kid's PC more times then I can count due to junk software, malware and spyware..

I'm at the point now that 95% of most people 21 and younger should never be allowed to touch a PC. ...and probably 70% of the people over 21.

There should be a licensing process for those allowed to use a PC.. first a written test, then a hands on test in front of an instructor.

That would leave half the people here without a job Razz

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:31:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

highonv8splash wrote:
knight0334 wrote:

That would leave half the people here without a job Razz

I've got legit evidence.. After running an ISP for two years and dealing with the customers you'd think the same.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:25:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Your missing the point. The point isn't to stop her from breaking the PC... the point is to make her learn to fix it herself, so she'll stop breaking it.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:59:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried that.. some people just dont get it.. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: