Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Vehicle Computer Chips
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:08:20    Post Subject: Vehicle Computer Chips Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey all.... Next year my truck is finally paid off (Great truck I love it, but I bought it at the wrong time and made the wost deal of my life on a vehicle.... but I digress), and after that we are going to be looking into buying a travel trailer. Because my truck is only a 1500 (1/2 ton) I'm looking try and do a few things to increase the horse power and tork on it.

1) Change the exhaust (probably go with a flow master setup)
2) Change the intake system (like a K&N setup)
3) Change the computer chip.

Now the intake & exhaust systems I'm pretty good at (I built me a 1970 hot rod Chevy Nova... I miss that baby). However the computer chips I have no experience in changing, which brands are good, etc...

Any one have any experience, or know any website or magazines worth reading on the subject? Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:00:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

theres pluses and minuses on chipping. only use a name brand chip that has been proven. i would call the local dealer and see what they reccomend then call a local performance shop and see what they carry/ sell the most of. we have a great local shop here in saint cloud mn for truck accessories. its called "radco" lookm up online and give them a call. try talking to grant if he is there if ya callm

*forgot to add... with a lot of the chips that say they add power and such, not too many of them are actually proven which is y u want brand name only and something that is proven that other people are using. installing them is very easy they will come in a kit typically and they are usually just plugnplay

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:15:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

our land rover is chipped - the chip is simply just an eprom which pulls out and pushed back into it's holder. usual static precuations though, and i can't offer any advice about which chips to go for
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:29:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Need more info, year, make, engine, etc...

This, I can help with!!!!
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:35:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

From what I have been seeing most people are buying the "Programmers" and just re flashing their existing chips to what ever parameters they want. Seems like a good way to go because you can always go back to original setting or change to another setting if first one does not work out right.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:02:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was considering one for my Jeep, since the inline 6 cylinder engines really aren't tuned that well... Jet Chip ( http://www.jetchip.com/ ) seemed to be the popular one on Jeep forums, and they make chips for all kinds of trucks/cars.

The main thing that stopped me was just the price, and the fact that the engine would now require premium gasoline, instead of just regular. Wasn't worth it to me.

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:32:55; edited 1 time in total
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:16:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
Need more info, year, make, engine, etc...

This, I can help with!!!!

2000 GMC Serria 5.3L

Yea, that's one of my concerns is having to go to the 91 gas. I might have to while towing anyways, and if I do I'd like to be able to get more power while I'm doing it.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:54:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

run the numbers though... i run premium in my tank just b/c an 18 gallon tank at an extra 10 cents here in minnesota is only a 1.80 which to me isnt a big deal, yes i know over time that adds up ... just dont buy a candybar/ donught or pop when you go in lol

on a sierra its a bit different though on a 30 gallon tank or whatever it is lol....

my buddy has a programmer in his 02 monte carlo and its really nice. it runs all the diagnostic codes and can reprogram timings things like that to help it run better... can also remove codes like check engine and things like that that come up

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:55:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hypertech, Jet, Superchips, Predator. They all basically do the same thing. They allow you to upload tweaked (and possibly improved) firmware into your trucks ECU. I'm pretty sure they all will result in at least some improvement since GM undoubtedly chooses the more conservative road when it comes to air/fuel curves. Most of the above programmers will also allow you to check SES codes, reset shift points for your tranny (probably a good thing if you are planning to tow anything more than about 5000lbs with your 1500) and reprogram your speedo for larger/smaller tires. The benefits of these programmers is that they allow you to easily return to factory settings if you need to (possibly for emissions or warranty concerns). a couple of the above may even have multiple programs to choose from. 91 octane is also required for some of the more liberal programs. This is really not a big deal though, if you can't find 91 or don't want to pay the extra $$ you can always swap back to factory programming.

Anyway,
Personally I think you will notice more of an improvement from the intake/exhaust upgrades than the programmer, but it would be useful for that little bit extra AFTER you upgrade the intake and exhaust.

Things I would do to my truck before towing a travel trailer: (listed in the order I would do them)

1) Tranny Cooler (if not already equipped)
2) Shift Kit Upgrade
3) Brake overhaul/Checkup
4) Exhaust upgrade
5) Intake upgrade
6) ECU Programmer.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:41:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, I was planning on doing the intake & exhaust first. The truck already comes with a tranny cooler, plus it has a special tow/haul switch for changing the shift points already. And because I have hauled with it before (both a big U-haul & a rented Travel Trailer) I know it works and makes a big difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: