Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Vehicle Computer Chips 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:55:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Hypertech, Jet, Superchips, Predator. They all basically do the same thing. They allow you to upload tweaked (and possibly improved) firmware into your trucks ECU. I'm pretty sure they all will result in at least some improvement since GM undoubtedly chooses the more conservative road when it comes to air/fuel curves. Most of the above programmers will also allow you to check SES codes, reset shift points for your tranny (probably a good thing if you are planning to tow anything more than about 5000lbs with your 1500) and reprogram your speedo for larger/smaller tires. The benefits of these programmers is that they allow you to easily return to factory settings if you need to (possibly for emissions or warranty concerns). a couple of the above may even have multiple programs to choose from. 91 octane is also required for some of the more liberal programs. This is really not a big deal though, if you can't find 91 or don't want to pay the extra $$ you can always swap back to factory programming.

Anyway,
Personally I think you will notice more of an improvement from the intake/exhaust upgrades than the programmer, but it would be useful for that little bit extra AFTER you upgrade the intake and exhaust.

Things I would do to my truck before towing a travel trailer: (listed in the order I would do them)

1) Tranny Cooler (if not already equipped)
2) Shift Kit Upgrade
3) Brake overhaul/Checkup
4) Exhaust upgrade
5) Intake upgrade
6) ECU Programmer.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved