Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
about painting stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invinciblegod
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:05:29    Post Subject: about painting stuff Reply with quote View Single Post

How do i give it that glossy shiny look? I'm pretty new at painting anything so i don't really know. If you want an example scroll to the bottom of the link and look at the mouse.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802808&page=3&pp=20
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:14:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would think you'd need a high gloss paint, or perhaps some clear coat.

A letter to a soldier
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:11:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes high gloss paint and clear coat are required but before that the prep of the surface to be painted is very important. Cleaning and sanding the item to be painted and possibly a coat of primer before the paint. Also many thin layers tend to be better than one or two thick layers.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:26:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dadx2mj, Would you use model paint? Or what?

A letter to a soldier
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:37:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have never tried model paint. I am no expert on painting but from what I have done I have found a good epoxy spray paint seems to be the most durable. Also paint seems to be one of those things that you get what you pay for the more expensive the paint usually the better the results.

Invinciblegod this thread really belongs in "Mods and Ends" so I hope you dont mine me moving it there. Grin
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:54:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

like they said a good clean surface to work w/ ....high gloss paint couple coats and a clear coat make sure to sand after each application

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:20:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

at my hobby store we sell lexan paint and that sticks to plastic really well so try yout local hobby store...we have like 50 colors too...and those color changing ones Grin .
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:00:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SAND SAND SAND SAND...I can't stress that enough. You want to take the case down to the metal (assuming you're talking about a case here...even if you aren't, SAND!). Then prime the surface, then sand some more. Prime again, sand again. Actually, here...

http://deron.meranda.us/casemod/painting/

Those steps can be used for plastics as well...just remember to use that Krylon Fusion stuff...it REALLY works well (I've used it several times).
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:55:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Rubbing compound and glaze are your friends at the end of the project. La Tech is right in his emphasis, the more you sand/repaint/sand etc., the better the end project will look. Be advised, if you dont sand it down enough at the beginning, the paint won't have anything to adheare to and your paint will chip/nick easily. The extra work and little extra amount of money you may have to put into it is more than worth the results.
CHollman82
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:27:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you are painting plastic Krylon Fusion is awesome. For metal you should scuff up the surface with some low grit sandpaper and then prime it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: