Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Is my chipset temp too high? 49C at idle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:29:35    Post Subject: Is my chipset temp too high? 49C at idle Reply with quote View Single Post

mobo is Asus A8N-SLI so it has nVidia chip. I put a temp probe in there underneath the heatsink, next to the chip, so it should be pretty accurate. I have software monitoring too but afaik the onboard temp probe is on the board itself somewhere and doesn't reflect the temp of the chip. I don't know what it was beforehand, obviously, but when I put the temp probe in I had to take off the heatsink including the thermal sticker thing that's on it. I cleaned everything up nice and put AS5 on it to put it back on. The only thing is it has these lame plastic clips that hold it on so it was wobbly before I got it anchored. They may have just pushed around the AS5 a little but it seemed like it would be ok. I thought that would have improved things if anything but I have nothing to compare it too. Is there any info on this?
thanks in advance
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:13:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you're using the stock heatsink/fan it's probably pretty accurate.

Technically, it's not too high, but once you put it under a load it could get too high.

If you're using teh stock heatsink/fan you might want to consider getting a third party better heatsink/fan.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:59:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As long as your load is below 60* I would be happy with what you have there.... for stock cooling it isn't too bad.
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:17:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Excellent, thanks (yes, I'm using the stock HS/Fan). I just thought it was weird because my cpu temp is at 32C. I think a little later on I'll swap out that HS/Fan though.
G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:43:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Chipsets generally run hot... and manufacturer's don't always seem to care. At least thats the impression you get by the types of coolers they use.

This review looked at a chipset cooler that took a load temp of 46C down to 32C...

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/northpole/

Comparing apples to oranges in your case, but it shows how much better some other coolers can do.
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:40:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My fan is starting to fail, so they sent me a new one. A very different looking one as I guess they had problems with the other one. Unfortunately I couldn't find any third party fans that would fit in the space between my gfx card cooler and the chipset. The new fan comes pre-stuck with a thin thermal insulation pad. The fan is attached to the mobo with two spring loaded pins so it stays on well but is not super stable during the installation process. I want to put AS 5 on it. Can I just take off that pad they have, clean it up nice and use the AS 5 for this application?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:51:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I haven't seen this particular one, but generally the answer is yes. I always remove those little thermal pad globs of tar or bubblegum and go for something more respectable. Just clean it up down to smooth, bare metal, and you're good to go with your thermal paste.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: