Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Logisys Glacier Dual LED Fan 500W Power Supply
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:31:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks...

In general I check the PSUs I review to be within +/- 10% whether they explicitly state their tolerance or not... Some specify 5%, and Dr. Evilcheeze was lucky enough to review the PC Power and Cooling unit that specifies 1%!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:48:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's not using a Molex connector directly, it's hard wired into the PS chasis.

I've removed the PS because of the faulty fan controller, the Fan LED's were just TOO bright (to sleep in the same room) at the highest speed that it was stuck on.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:45:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just a follow up, had some spare parts laying around so I put together a system to play with some beta software on using this power supply. After about a month of use, it's TOTALLY dead. Was reinstalling Longhorn, heard a pop, and system went dead. No damage to the rest of the system, but power supply is totally gone.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:32:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm... Life span of 90 days??
BonusMinutes
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:13:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So help me understand. The PSU first had a malfuntioning fan speed controller and grossly out of spec 3.3V rail. Upon retesting the 3.3V rail was operating at the absolute maximum allowable under ATX standards. Then after only a month of regular use the PSU blew up. So the review continues to show a positive recommendation without updates or changes? Does Big Bruin really consider this a good product?

If you cannot clearly state that this product failed to meet industry standards, failed to work as promised, and failed to stand up to regular use then when can you? I think its time to include all of this information in the review in order to uphold Big Bruins reputation for integrity and honesty with the readers. Thanks.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:40:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

True, true... not sure I had been in here to see this info... We need a new conclusion on that thing with an update... Hellfire, you have a quick paragraph I can add to change this? Thanks!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:58:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Aye, agree it does need to be updated. I'll send you an update this morning.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

7Enigma
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:19:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi all,

I had to register to BigBruin after reading this review and subsequent comments.

If you are going to review ANY product, you must have the capability of being able to test the product PROPERLY. When you are testing a power supply (and a 500w at that!) you must use a system that stresses the PS to its maximum to ensure that it is rated properly. To use an under whelming video card (current generations require 2-3X the power on the 12volt line), only 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, and memory and CPU that appear stock (i.e. no voltage overclock to stress the PS more), I find the results flawed from the start. This is a performance PS, and should be tested on nothing less than a current performance rig.

If I'm testing a new video card, lets say the 6800ULTRA or X800XT, does it make sense to test it on Tetris or Pong or the original Doom? I think not. On the same page, testing a supposed high performance PS needs to be tested properly, OR NOT TESTED AT ALL!! What I would have liked to see was this PS tested on a multiRAID drive configuration, cpu and ram overvolted and overclocked to max stable speeds, a NEWER video card, 2-3 optical drives, and maybe a couple PCI cards (sound card, network card, etc). This would then most definitely stress the upper limits of the PS and therefore make a more worthwhile test. I don't have all these components, and maybe the reviewer did not either, but that’s no excuse.

On another forum I frequent, I started a thread called Worst PSU review ever? and invited others to post reviews on the web that are flawed from the start. This review was posted in my thread. Many neglected to use a multimeter, relying solely on MBM5 or some other software based program that is inaccurate. Others failed to stress the PS (as in this review) by using sub par components. And still others committed the gravest error of either not understanding the results or FLAT OUT LYING and IGNORING the data. I'll give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt that something that takes this amount of time to write made a typo of voltage on the 3.3volt line. Seems a bit convenient however that after months and over 4000 hits to the review, no one seemed inclined to correct the review.

I'm not an expert on power supplies, but I do know a bit about how they should perform. And a rating of 3 out of 5 for something that is defective WITHIN 1 hour of setting up that could easily critically shorten the lifespan of the PS (as apparently it did by dying a month later), not to mention running above or at the maximum specified allowances for the 3.3 line with such a small load placed on it, this PS HAS TO GET A FAILING GRADE or BigBruin's credibility for reviewing is lost, and seen as nothing more than a paid advertisement.

Justin

PS. Another review from Hellfire using similar weak PS stressing components (and guess what? Logisys has the review on their site, how convenient)
http://www.bigbruin.org/reviews/logisyspitbull/index.php
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:47:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi 7Enigma, and welcome.

We do appreciate your comments and concerns. I will also admit that there are some issues over all with this review, however no information from it was edited, changed, deleted, or "tweaked" in order to either give the product a better review or hide faults and weakness.

I would say that while not a perfect review (and none ever are), I would still say it's a fair and honest review. Too be honest I believe the system being used was a little low in total draw, but I also don't think this PSU is a true high performance PSU. I'd call it more of a "show" PSU then a performance one.

I believe also in cases like this we should have contacted the manufacture and requested another PSU for to testing. It is possible this PSU was just a defect, and is not a true representation of the entire line (there is defects in every product ever made).

So end result, some mistakes were made and to that we do apologize. We will learn from our mistakes and try our best not to make them again. However I believe that on this, and most reviews we always try out best to adhere to best practices and never EVER either give false information or omit information we've found while doing reviews.

Thanks again, and we do hope you stay around.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:48:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I appreciate the feedback.

When this was first reviewed it was a good power supply, minus the faulty fan controller. Over time when it failed, I reported it immediately here on the boards, instead of editing the review. Had I not needed to use the power supply after the faulty fan controller (which was why it received a 3) it would never had failed on me. I did give Logisys the benefit of the doubt it was just a faulty unit as others reported the PSU worked flawlessly for them.

Although I did not have enough components to stress the PSU fully, my system has gone through a substantial upgrade and will be able to stress the PSU's up to around 475W. I will be rechecking the Pitbull when the new components arrive and are installed.

I can also ensure you that I will NEVER give something a better rating than I feel it deserves. No matter what the manufacturer requests. I will state my opinions on it, and give it what I think is warranted. Besides, if I wanted to give it a positive review I could have easily "received" much better results...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Power All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: