Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Comparing Internet Service
What do you have? need? want?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:03:54    Post Subject: Comparing Internet Service Reply with quote View Single Post

I recently saw that my cable Internet provider was offering 101Mbps down / 15 Mbps up service... Optimum Online Ultra. Didn't know you get that fast in the US, even though I guess that might be normal in places like Korea. I don't know how many websites would actually keep up with that kind of service on my end, but I thought I had to have to have the fastest service... Until I saw the price. Big installation fee (even if you're already a customer) and a high monthly fee. Oh well, pass. We'll stick with the 30/5 service for 55ish per month.

What kind of service do most people have? DSL, cable, satellite, or do a I dare ask about dial up? What do you pay?

Was using a few places to compare internet service and see I don't have any options... I can go to that Ultra plan for mega-bucks or I can try Hughesnet satellite... no thanks. I guess FiOS is an option, but I can't stand the commercials and the people I know that have it fall in to two categories... Those that don't know what fast internet is to know any better, and those who don't want the hassle of switching back to whatever they had.

I guess I don't need internet service that is any faster than what I have now, but knowing there is something better has me thinking about it. At the same time, paying less is always nice.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Challenger
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:24:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have Cablevision cable, too. You get free WiFi all over, so you can sit at coffee shops and look super important on your laptop!
darkstar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:59:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cox cable 25/5 for about $43 a month
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:00:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have Comcast. $42.95 for an advertised "Downloads up to 12Mbps, uploads up to 2Mbps with PowerBoost®".

Actual speeds are around 4.5Mb/386Kb. Speeds will peak higher for smaller file transfers when there is unused bandwidth available.
caligo
Rated R

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:36:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Provider: Armstrong Cable
Connection: 10 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up
Cost $60

This is one of their business accounts. There is a business downstairs that I split the cost with, so for $30 out of pocket for me I don't complain. No caps and depending on the site downloads sometimes pass the the 10 Mbps. I get 3/5 of the ip addresses and can setup several email addresse (rarely use because their spam filter is junk). From what I understand there was no setup fee, but they required the business owner to sign a 1 year contract. After one year they could cancel it anytime. A friend that works for Armstrong says they are considering doubling the speed for the same price. Not much offered in my area. It was either this, satellite, or dsl (same price for less than half the connection).
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 11:57:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Caligo, Armstrong Cable? You're from Pennsylvania?
caligo
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:49:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What makes you think that Wink ...yep
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:55:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Because I'm a communications engineer that designs CATV and telephone infrastructures, so I have to know where what companies serve. lol
LovermanOwens
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:06:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I currently only have Comcast Ultra Internet service and they really charge me around $80 a month since I don’t get TV from them. I can’t complain about the speed of the internet but I can say with certainty that the price is way too high. The US needs more internet providers and we need them now.

Ultra, offering up to 22 Mbps of downstream speed and up to 5 Mbps of upstream speed at $62.95/month.* (when you buy something else from them)
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:32:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Mediacom....10Mb/700Kb for like $55 a month...Keep hopeing we get something faster someday, but to be honest 10Mb is pretty good. Especially since I seem to keep it maxed out when I need to...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: