Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help needed with first PC build
Older IDE DVD Drive - Compatible with Windows 7 64bit OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterRabbit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:51:40    Post Subject: Help needed with first PC build Reply with quote View Single Post

Sun My first build. I have a '06 BenQ DW1670 DVD Burner with IDE connector + 4 pin power , it is brand new but no box or info. I know I can get a new SATA DVD for about $25 but I plan to buy a Blu-Ray as soon as I can afford one, so I would prefer not to buy another DVD drive. So far I have a case + PSU + ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO mobo , soon I get AMD CPU, 4GB DDR3, WD or Seagate HDD and plan to run Windows 7 64bit. OK, when all my stuff is carefully put together I assume the next step is press power and pray , after it will "post" I have a speaker so it will beep and request me to install OS (something like that). My question is will the IDE DVD drive ( my ASUS mobo has a IDE connector and even a ribbon cable was included ) have any reason not to read the Windows 7 disc ? Being a first time builder I am not sure if I can open the bios and see what drive is set as the default boot drive but I am hoping the IDE DVD can be used for a while till I get the Blu Ray. Hope I made this clear enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated and some day hope to help someone else. Thank You. Grin
NZXT M59 Case + ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO Mobo + ULTRA X4 500watt PSU = Slowly Getting There 1 Part at a Time..................... #3777 registered user
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

crowTrobot
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:20:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nope. It should be perfectly fine if it runs normally when you attach it on other machines.

The only DVD drive that I know that won't work are some old LG DVDROMs which are exclusively OEMs and need to be flashed to make it work again on a different hardware. I have one of these sitting here beside the computer and I can't get it to work again even after several flashing attempts.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:15:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't forget to RTFM. Your motherboard will have little pin connectors and these need to be, for lack of a better term, connected to your case. These are the lights, power and reset switches and, if applicable, the speaker. The most important manual of any PC build is always the motherboard. The rest of them can be safely tossed (or bundled up and used for firestarter in the winter).
WaterRabbit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:01:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

crowTrobot wrote:
Nope. It should be perfectly fine if it runs normally when you attach it on other machines.

The only DVD drive that I know that won't work are some old LG DVDROMs which are exclusively OEMs and need to be flashed to make it work again on a different hardware. I have one of these sitting here beside the computer and I can't get it to work again even after several flashing attempts.
Sun Thanks for the advice , I am glad that I'll be able to use my old DVD drive , while I save for a nice blu-ray drive and a nice 1080p monitor . Take care. I will put up a link with photos when I get further along. Grin
NZXT M59 Case + ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO Mobo + ULTRA X4 500watt PSU = Slowly Getting There 1 Part at a Time..................... #3777 registered user
WaterRabbit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:25:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
Don't forget to RTFM. Your motherboard will have little pin connectors and these need to be, for lack of a better term, connected to your case. These are the lights, power and reset switches and, if applicable, the speaker. The most important manual of any PC build is always the motherboard. The rest of them can be safely tossed (or bundled up and used for firestarter in the winter).
Sun Thank you. That is good advice. Sadly most manuals are poorly written but I do understand how hard it must be to make all kinds of users from total novices to IT Tech Pros get something out of it. I read all the manuals more than once and anything I can find on the net. I wish I was a better writer because it can be hard to try to ask a question about a subject I am not familiar with and have you guys know what I am trying to say. Case in point I almost asked you what "RTFM' meant , then stopped and remembered someone on here said Google it before you ask. Then the good old light bulb went on over my head and I got it, but that is how close I came to asking a dumb question! Bang Head Anyway thanks, I will definitely check, recheck and double-triple official recheck all of my connections. Later. Grin
crowTrobot
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:15:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp
For BD playback on PC.

Some BD players don't come with the software bundled that you need to playback BD so check it out before you buy so you don't end up spending extra for software.
WaterRabbit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:59:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

crowTrobot wrote:

For BD playback on PC.

Some BD players don't come with the software bundled that you need to playback BD so check it out before you buy so you don't end up spending extra for software.
Grin Thanks for the tip. I can't remember if it was the Lite-On BD/ROM or the ASUS but one or maybe come with CYBERLINK software both those readers are pretty cheap, in fact BigBruin-Jason Schadenfreude posted a link and discount code to get the Lite-On Player (OEM) for $55. but OEM means no software and wimpy warranty. Still a good deal. Amazing the stuff you forget when you buy a new part. I always read the fine print, just like your tip. Thanks again, bud. Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: