Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help Upgrading Old Computer
Go To Page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:42:09    Post Subject: Help Upgrading Old Computer Reply with quote View Single Post

So my parent's want me to upgrade their old Compaq Presario and they said I can spend up to about $250 dollars on it. It already has 512 RAM, decent video card, HDD, CD Drive/Burner, and Floppy. I need some help and suggestions on the parts. Here's what I got so far:

MB: ABIT "NF7-S" nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU
Cost: $89

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor
Cost: $80

Case w/ Power Supply: ANTEC "SONATA" Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply
Cost: $95

TOTAL SYSTEM COST SO FAR: $264

Questions:

1.) Suggestions/Recommendations on parts.

2.) On board audio for this MB good enough?

3.) Everything fit/compatable?

4.) Anything I should look for (fans ect), for case cooling. (I plan to OC it a bit.)

Thanks again,
-SpydeR
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:00:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sound is probably good enough... 5.1 channel capable. But, you could pick up an nForce2 board for less... Like, the one I am giving away in the contest here now sells for only $50 something. It is a good board, with LAN, sound, and all the usual goodies... That gets you under the $250 limit, too.

Maybe find another case with a bigger psu and more drive space... the Sonata is like a LANrig case (IMO). There are Antec towers with 400W+ psus in the same price range.

If you plan to OC, get yourself a better heatsink than the stock AMD cooler... Thermaltake has some good ones for low $$...
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:08:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just say no to the NF7-S for $89. DFI NFII Ultra Inifinity is the best NF2 mobo there is and it's about the same price, maybe $93.

The CPU is a big NO. Get a 2500+ or 2600+ Mobile and a Thermalright ALX-800U or Thermaltake Silentboost K7 for $25.

As for the case, I've used two similar ones with 80mm exhaust instead of 120. I'd go with it, it's pretty much perfect for the application. Get a low ouput 120mm fan and you can move air and stay quiet.

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:27:36    Post Subject: Re: Help Upgrading Old Computer Reply with quote View Single Post

SpydeR wrote:

4.) Anything I should look for (fans etc), for case cooling. (I plan to OC it a bit.)

I would have to say that if this is going to your parents, you might want to keep it stock, e.g. trouble free.

SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:05:27    Post Subject: Re: Help Upgrading Old Computer Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm sorta trying to keep in my limit, $250. I need to make some sacrifices and I think that I might not OC as much as I think some of you are expecting with the extra cooling. As for what Dud3 said, I think I might switch one of those up, I leaning towards that mobo.

What's the difference between the Mobos?
DFI: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-137&depa=1

What's the difference between the Processors?
Mobile: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=1
w/Cooling: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-115&depa=1

I think I need to choose one or the other, cause $290 might be too much over the limit. Which is the better switch? Also, there is 512 SD-RAM in the old computer, but it might be outdated, not sure if it's 266 or not. Any way to check?
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:16:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If the old RAM is SDRAM you're screwed. You need at least Corsair XMS PC2700, or some decent PC3200.

The difference in the mobos is that the DFI is the best. It's the best OCer. The difference in the CPUs is that the Mobiles are better OCers and they're unlocked.

Save money on the case by getting this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-117&depa=0

I used it to build two new systems and it was great for a cheap case. The PSU can handle that system without a problem even though it's 300W.

If you have to get RAM, get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=20-145-503&DEPA=0
(just kidding)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=20-146-219&DEPA=0

I'd normally recommend Corsair, but their budget RAM is not much for OCing (or even running stock with decent timings). The Mushkin is cheap and probably will work fine.

Tell your parents it's going to cost a little more, they can handle it. If not, tell them to wait until they can so they won't waste money on something less.

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:19:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Another thing I forgot is you can swap the DFI for this mobo and save cash. You parents don't really need a super OCer so this will work fine. I was trying to find a cheap mobo for ThePMG and spork pointed me to this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-170-113&depa=0

It has the good ALC-650 audio chip on it along with high voltages.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:23:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh, and for ThePMG's comment on keeping it stock, don't worry about it. With good hardware you can OC and have it be as stable or MORE stable than a stock system.

I OCed computers I built for businesses and they are 110% stable and haven't had a glitch to date (for example, 2100+ T-breds, Corsair value ram, Shuttle NF2 mobo, ALX-800. 2200MHz, 200MHz system bus, 200MHz RAM).

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:33:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:

I OCed computers I built for businesses

That is such a no-no.

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:35:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why? Why is it a no-no when they are built by me, serviced by me, and built from quality hardware? They are properly cooled and run at lower temps than a stock setup.

The RAM is made to run at 200MHz as are the mobos. The CPU is the same core as a faster chip and is completely stable.

If it runs at 100% load for hours, runs memtest all day, and passes 3DMark2001/2003 multiple times it can't run Quickbooks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: