Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Home Theater system
need help
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:15:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

s1ck psycho wrote:
thanks, the svs looks good. can you dish out good speaker companies? i really want good floor speakers. and plan to use the speakers for bass extensive music at low and loud volumes, as well as pc gaming. so are there any g really good ones, although those SvS ones look nice.

Not for under $1000, but here's a few names that seem to be highly regarded. Way over my budget though, if I didn't live in Alaska I'd probably have the SVS system listed above, shipping just put's it out of range.

Kef, Monitor Audio, Vienna Acoustics, B&W, Rotel....................There's plenty more and prices sure seem to get crazy fast.

From what I've been able to gather, the audio guru's recommend budgeting 3 or more times the cost of your receiver for your main speakers. I'm not even close to an expert on this stuff, I just spent about a month researching everything for my purchase and picked up a bit of knowledge along the way. It all started with a seemingly innocent review of an Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard and Lian-Li HTPC case (thanks Jason Wink ). Little did I know that this review would result in a new HDTV (had to have that 1080p sweetness), AVR and 7.1 speaker system. Actually went through two AVR's because my original choice the Harman Kardon AVR254 had issues with my motorola DVR and HDMI so I returned it and got an even more expensive Denon 2309ci. Grin If you really want to start bending your brain, look into building your own subwoofer. On the surface it seems easy, but once you get into it you realize it's not nearly as simple as it seems and the subwoofer is probably the easiest speaker to build on your own. I flubbed it the first go around and picked up a driver that didn't quite fit my needs and had to take a mulligan. In the end things turned out pretty good though and again I learned a little along the way.

Boo Boo

s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:09:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

compared to the aperion is the SVS better, the towers and woofer and such. Ps. i am a noob, how much for the svs system with two towers, two bookshelves, a woofer, and centerchannel.i am talking about the SBS01 that is.
but i want to know if these parts are better than aperion.
s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:24:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

made my mind on SVS. but now i need tower speakers, help??
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:44:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They aren't towers, but you could go with the 5.0 Multi-channel SCS-01(M) speaker system with SBS-01 surrounds. for $690 The SCS-01 speakers have two mid-range 5.25" drivers and should give you good mid-range and up on the front/center speakers while still keeping everything matched nicely with the single mid-range 5.25" driver SBS-01's for the surround channels. You could then add a pair of stands for about $60 and a BIC America Venturi V1220 Sub for an additional $200 and that would give you a pretty nice system for about $1K. It will be larger than the bose 4" cubes, but you won't be missing the middle frequencies and will in all likely hood be much happier.

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm
http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-stand.cfm
http://www.provantage.com/bic-america-v-1220~7BICA002.htm

Of note is that these SVS speakers are all SEALED. This means that you won't have to worry about port placement issues and can mount/place them wherever you need to without worrying. The sealed designs typically need more power for a given SPL, but they usually also have a very clean crisp sound. You're choice of receivers should have no trouble powering them, but I wouldn't expect ear bleeding, neighbor annoying sound levels unless you live in an apartment or condo. The 12" Bic sub should put out all the bass you require and will extend down to 23Hz (possibly lower if you place it in the corner of some good sturdy walls). Just for reference, 20Hz is the lower limit of the human ear, but many movies have sound tracks that extend below this, you can't hear it, but you can feel it. It's rare to get below audible without spending 3 or 4 times what the Bic subwoofer costs. You probably won't be able to find the specs on the bose acoustimass series 10 IV system (which should tell you something), but I'm betting their sub doesn't go below 35Hz. Another point of interest is that the entire acoustimass system weighs about as much as just two of the svs speakers. This is important because the bose speakers appear to be made of plastic while the speakers linked above are all made of much heavier MDF which is considered to be a very good material for speaker construction.

Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:24:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

once again thanks for all the help, but i kinda really want tower speakers. if at all possible to get them to hook up with my system? like i am open for a pretty good price, but can seem to want and spend over 2k for the mts system
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:35:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm kind of at a loss. I can't really understand how you go from a Bose Acoustimass to wanting a tower system. With a $1000 budget I think the best thing you could do is spend it on two good tower speakers and add the rest as your budget allows.

I've probably listed at least 10 different options that will blow the Acoustimass system out of the water for the same price or less, but at some point your budget just isn't going to give you everything you want. I do enjoy learning new things and have spent quite a bit of time researching my purchases, I suggest you use the tools I showed you earlier..........cough.............AVS Forum Audio Area and do the same. You'll appreciate the sound system you end up with much more if you spend some time researching it and listening to the speakers you actually purchase. I will be happy to give you my views on specific speakers/systems, but it's pretty tough to pull suggestions out of the blue when I know my tastes may not be the same as yours.

Last edited by acruxksa on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:43:35; edited 1 time in total
s1ck psycho
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:43:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

no what i meant was i am buying the 5.1 SBS system, thanks for the adive on that, and i wanted to know, are there any towers i can hook up later? sorry for the confusion.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:47:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

s1ck psycho wrote:
no what i meant was i am buying the 5.1 SBS system, thanks for the adive on that, and i wanted to know, are there any towers i can hook up later? sorry for the confusion.

I'm not very familiar with your receiver, but many 7.1 systems have an option for A and B speakers and typically you can put a 5.1 system on A and then drive 2 separate speakers on B. If your receiver has a similar option then you won't have any issues. If it does not, you could still add the towers later, but may run into issues with them over powering the center speaker or having mismatched tones/timber in movies. Give me a bit and i'll look into the receiver to see if you have the option to split two channels off from the 7.1 system.

Does that make any sense?

Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:57:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just looked into the elite series VSX-01TXH and it indeed does have a multi-zone option. This would allow you to put the 5.1 system on one zone and two towers on a separate zone for music. It's possible that you could add two tower speakers to your home theater and they will fit in nicely. Your odds of this increase if you purchase them from the manufacturer you bought the home theater speakers from and would be even more likely if they were from the same model line or at least used some of the same drivers.
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 01:03:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thanks, i really appreciate the help, and i just found out that SVS has great customer service as i talked to one rep. thanks for not letting me tank my money lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: