Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Obama Wants DTV Switch Postponed Until June 12
Change... Just Not So Fast
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:49:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

x.clay wrote:
I want to know why the US government needs to be involved in the switch, why the government has passed legislatation requiring the switch, and why my tax dollars are paying for DTV conversion boxes Rolling Eyes

ding ding ding...and this is what pisses me off about it. All the money our government is throwing out there for the switch.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

anny31
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:30:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

the govt want to tax anything it can and regulate everything. no freebies!
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:40:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wait, it's June 12th. and the world didn't come to an end. Go figure!
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:28:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Wait, it's June 12th. and the world didn't come to an end. Go figure!

Oh just you wait..... Razz
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:41:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

there are 6 elderly people in Tucson who can't watch Matlock. Quick, call Obama!
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:49:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think I saw that 800,000 people called the DTV hotline number on the day of the transition wondering what happened. Sad that so many people didn't have a clue prior to that... Not like they didn't advertise or anything.
djw746
Rated R

PostPosted: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:21:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
I think I saw that 800,000 people called the DTV hotline number on the day of the transition wondering what happened. Sad that so many people didn't have a clue prior to that... Not like they didn't advertise or anything.
From what I understand most of those people were calling to complain that the digital signal does not reach their house and therefore no longer have any free TV... Mad

It makes sense I suppose since Digital signal uses so much less power, but it still sucks to have 8 channels on Saturday and then 0 on Sunday afternoon even with converter box... Sad

Didn't really affect me... no channels before and still no channels... Bang Head yay for cable... Confused

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

veleb
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:08:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Many ppl forget that to get good signal you need a good antenna if you happen to be at place where the digital signal is weaker. Fortunatelly usually a piece of wire is enough to get it going. Even a coat hanger might work. It can take some trial-and-error time tho. But in the end I helped 3 neighbours get a signal that way - it's up to them now to decide if they need better antenna Wink
djw746
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:17:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

veleb wrote:
Many ppl forget that to get good signal you need a good antenna if you happen to be at place where the digital signal is weaker. Fortunatelly usually a piece of wire is enough to get it going. Even a coat hanger might work. It can take some trial-and-error time tho. But in the end I helped 3 neighbours get a signal that way - it's up to them now to decide if they need better antenna Wink
ha! thanks for pointing out the obvious. Yes, I had a decent antenna (works around 40 mile indoors) but alas living beyond that range means an outdoor antenna which I cannot use (thus my use of cable).
I gave my digital antenna to my girlfriend (who lives on the cusp signal range) which meant she had signal up until transition day which she lost all but 2 fuzzy gospel signals and a very snowy, noisy NBC. (had 8 watchable plus 2 gospel channels)
It isn't always an option to improve receiver which is what I assume people under 60 were calling to report.
But ya, an antenna only really helps if you live in or near a city.

Grayheart
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:18:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The credit for the digital converter boxes are spare changes, compare to billions of $$$ they are getting for selling the extra wireless spectrum they are freeing up by going from analog to the more efficient digital standard. Not to mention the amazing TV quality you are getting now. So you should be happy, and not be angry.

borschtBomber[SS] wrote:
x.clay wrote:
I want to know why the US government needs to be involved in the switch, why the government has passed legislatation requiring the switch, and why my tax dollars are paying for DTV conversion boxes Rolling Eyes

ding ding ding...and this is what pisses me off about it. All the money our government is throwing out there for the switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: