Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
It's getting a bit cold up here!!! :D
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:05:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just checked the NWS surface map and it doesn't look like the High pressure system that has settled over the interior is going to be moving anytime soon, so we're probably in for at least another week of this. The last extended cold snap we had was in 1989 and it lasted a couple weeks. It also resulted in a C130 crashing near Fairbanks because they forgot to adjust their altimeter to correct for the extremely high High Pressure.
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 19:29:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whats land prices like up there? ...Been thinking about doing the Grizzly Adams/Jeremiah Johnson thing.

Federal or state land grants/patents?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:59:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It depends where it is, the state is always selling parcels for next to nothing, you might want to check out their site.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/

*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 00:42:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's pretty cool info there Acruxksa.

Do you know anything about any of the parcels/area's they are selling? Some seem REALLY cheap. Makes me think about investing.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 02:07:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I really haven't looked into it lately, I've been waiting for the parcels on Hawkins Island just west of cordova to open up, they have the proposal out, but I don't know if they'll show up for auction this year or next. A lot of the land isn't easily accessible so you have to be careful in that respect. I looked at some parcels outside of Glennallen in the interior this summer and they seemed like pretty good deals, but my parents already own 50acres in the area so I didn't bother bidding on them. I know someone who picked up a 10acre lot for about 11K though which is pretty good considering it was only a couple hundred yards from the highway.

They also give veterans a one time %25 discount, but you would need to establish residency up here first to take advantage of it.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:58:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just looked over a ton of those lots. I do see problems with many - access. Looks like you'd have to fly in on several, lacking roads.. Or trespass, which I'm not a fan of doing.

What are property/school taxes like(if any)? I mean, how would a "mountain man" keep his lands when he doesn't have a job to earn money to pay his taxes? What are hunting rights like for those that live the simple life, any inherent harvest rights not needing hunting licenses?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 18:18:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
I just looked over a ton of those lots. I do see problems with many - access. Looks like you'd have to fly in on several, lacking roads.. Or trespass, which I'm not a fan of doing.

What are property/school taxes like(if any)? I mean, how would a "mountain man" keep his lands when he doesn't have a job to earn money to pay his taxes? What are hunting rights like for those that live the simple life, any inherent harvest rights not needing hunting licenses?

Most of those areas are unincorporated and have no taxes at all. Also, there are almost always easements zoned into the lots to allow access, so most likely you wouldn't have to trespass. There are a lot of different access options, but usually snowmachine, atv, boat or plane are the most common for the remote properties. If the property is within several hundred yards of a road, then you can bet there's a road easement zoned in even though the road may not be there yet.

As for hunting, it depends on where you live. If you live in the bush (which given your description it sounds like this is what you want to do) there are usually subsistence hunting options available as well as the traditional permit and lottery hunts. All dependent on the species being hunted/fished. I would strongly recommend against going completely off the grid at least initially. There are plenty of places where you can get land for a reasonable price and still live a pretty private lifestyle. Most of the Matanuska Valley, especially in the Houston, Big Lake, Talkeetna area is still pretty sparsely populated and offers a secluded lifestyle. People generally mind their own business unless you live in one of the larger towns.
Spire should chime in on his experiences since he's been up here awhile now and would be able to compare it to living in the lower 48. My opinion is pretty jaded because I've lived here nearly my entire life and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

When it comes to jobs up here, you may be surprised just how much companies are willing to pay people who have skills.

Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 01:07:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am about 15 miles North of Kenai Alaska and every road I know of out here leads to the middle of nowhere.

You do not have to try hard to be so remote that no one can hear you scream, and still only have a half hour drive to a Walmart.

As far as trespassing, if you own any of those plots of land that far out in the middle of no where, no one is going to be within 100 miles of you EVER, who could possibly b!%@#, and who would they b!%@# to?

A little trivia for you that might help with the SHEER amount of no where there is up here:

If New York County had the same number of people per sq mile as Alaska, there would be ONE person living there. If Alaska had the same number per sq mile as New York County there would be 40,265,976,100 people. (570,380 Square Miles x 70,595 residents per square mile)

Alaska is bigger than Texas, bigger than California, bigger than Montana COMBINED. Being lost and alone is not an issue. (neither is being eaten.)

I love it here. Might want to ask Asylum what he thinks too!!! hehehehe
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:27:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
I love it here. Might want to ask Asylum what he thinks too!!! hehehehe

Yea, but to be fair. You were NEVER right in the head.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:16:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow, I didn't realize Asylum was up here as well. Cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: