Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: It's getting a bit cold up here!!! :D 
acruxksa
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 18:18:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote

knight0334 wrote:
I just looked over a ton of those lots. I do see problems with many - access. Looks like you'd have to fly in on several, lacking roads.. Or trespass, which I'm not a fan of doing.

What are property/school taxes like(if any)? I mean, how would a "mountain man" keep his lands when he doesn't have a job to earn money to pay his taxes? What are hunting rights like for those that live the simple life, any inherent harvest rights not needing hunting licenses?

Most of those areas are unincorporated and have no taxes at all. Also, there are almost always easements zoned into the lots to allow access, so most likely you wouldn't have to trespass. There are a lot of different access options, but usually snowmachine, atv, boat or plane are the most common for the remote properties. If the property is within several hundred yards of a road, then you can bet there's a road easement zoned in even though the road may not be there yet.

As for hunting, it depends on where you live. If you live in the bush (which given your description it sounds like this is what you want to do) there are usually subsistence hunting options available as well as the traditional permit and lottery hunts. All dependent on the species being hunted/fished. I would strongly recommend against going completely off the grid at least initially. There are plenty of places where you can get land for a reasonable price and still live a pretty private lifestyle. Most of the Matanuska Valley, especially in the Houston, Big Lake, Talkeetna area is still pretty sparsely populated and offers a secluded lifestyle. People generally mind their own business unless you live in one of the larger towns.
Spire should chime in on his experiences since he's been up here awhile now and would be able to compare it to living in the lower 48. My opinion is pretty jaded because I've lived here nearly my entire life and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

When it comes to jobs up here, you may be surprised just how much companies are willing to pay people who have skills.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved