Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
5.1 Speakers... suggestions?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:32:54    Post Subject: 5.1 Speakers... suggestions? Reply with quote View Single Post

I just purchased an ONKYO TXSR805 Black 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Link here.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120060
But I've come across a serious dilema. I have no idea about speakers. I want to get a nice 5.1 setup, that can handle the reciever. If anyone has any ideas about who makes good speakers, It'd be greatly appreciated. I have the T.V. the Reciever, the DVD player, BluRay, just need the the sound.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:55:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

1- Nice receiver! I'm a big Onkyo fan. (Have one myself)

2 - Ignore what any one tells you. Go listen for yourself. Everyone's ears are different, and they hear things in different ways. So what sounds great to me, might sound dull or muddy to you.

Best thing I can suggest is to go try and find a audio retailer that will let you listen to many different speakers all on the same source (don't have to be Onkyo, but you want to be able to compare apples to apples). Most, if not all good audio retailers will have a sound room just for this purpose.

Now on a personal note, avoid Bose. Unless your buying their high end 901's and have the room for it, Bose's sound reproduction is very in accurate. They look better than they sound.

Also personal likes are JBL (Favorite), Infinity, Polk, Klipsch (can go both good and bad), and some Boston Acoustics. Those are ones you should easily be able to find. There are others, but they start going real high end like Bang & Olufsen... $$$$$$ but SWWWEEEET!
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:05:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll have to look into those. Being in Germany it's hard to find anything. Was looking for suggestions so I can get them mailed to me. I looked at Klipsch but there stuff was sold individually which annoyed me, and trying to find all of the parts for what I wanted didn't go so well. I will look into JBL, Infinity and Polk, thanks for the suggestions.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:42:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I went with http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM6880-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000QDI580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217187693&sr=8-1

Which I had to get shipped home first, so it can then get shipped to me. Living APO is a pain heh.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:37:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm, would think you could find some over there. Never been though, so don't really know.

It's convenient to buy in set's like that, unfortunately you loose some of the best of sound speakers. But generally they cost less (for example 1 of my JBL speakers cost $500, and with a pair of them, a center and 2 surround... ammmm yea...).

Good luck, hopefully you will enjoy them.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:47:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks, I'll let you know when I recieve everything and have it all hooked up.
pnorten462
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:50:50    Post Subject: Re: 5.1 Speakers... suggestions? Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi friend,
I think the creative 5.1 speakers gives very good performance in sound. I have creative 2.1 speakers.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:31:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well I totally forgot I'd post on how they sounded.
The reciever puts out more rated wattage than the speakers. However, I've yet to find a flaw with my setup. I've had the sound so loud I couldn't stay in my house. No distortion crackle or flaw. Excellent combination. I didn't quite follow the recommented wiring for the sub. Since it required you to connect everything to it and use it's equalizer. I ran all my speakers from the reciever and only used the sub output to the subwoofer.

assassinated
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:12:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Shadowsilence wrote:
Well I totally forgot I'd post on how they sounded.
The reciever puts out more rated wattage than the speakers. However, I've yet to find a flaw with my setup. I've had the sound so loud I couldn't stay in my house. No distortion crackle or flaw. Excellent combination. I didn't quite follow the recommented wiring for the sub. Since it required you to connect everything to it and use it's equalizer. I ran all my speakers from the reciever and only used the sub output to the subwoofer.

You always wanted rated capability for the receiver above the speakers whenever possible. To avoid long-term crackle or flaw I seem to recall some tricks regarding how you wire things, etc. So I'd suggest googling that when possible. Things such as dusting, etc can have an impact long term and I don't remember if that was negative or positive.

Meanwhile, good choice. I always ask people who want to set up surround sound if they have a room big enough for it Grin
dragunover
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 04:56:42    Post Subject: Logitech X-540 Reply with quote View Single Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: