Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card
ASUS Xonar D2X PCI Express Sound Card
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 06:43:49    Post Subject: ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card Reply with quote View Single Post

The ASUS Xonar D2X features a host of impressive features, a generous bundle of software, and a variety of connections and cables to help you get fully connected. The Aluminum EMI shield gives it the appearance of a high end graphics card, while the PCI Express x1 connector finally gives you something useful to stick into those unused slots. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

split10
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:00:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the detailed review, but could I please make a request?

These ASUS sounds seem to be getting good reviews on most places, but a question that often crops up is never answered. (or rarely)
If using a headset with a mic, whats the volume like?
I've seen it said on one forum that it's low even with the boost on, thus rendering the sound card useless for those of us who want to use apps like skype / msn etc on voice.
Whats the point in having Magic VoiceTM etc if you can't be heard?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 16:51:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll give it a shot. You just want to know if something like Skype works OK? I'll check it out sometime soon and see if any settings have to be changed.
split10
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 00:49:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
I'll give it a shot. You just want to know if something like Skype works OK? I'll check it out sometime soon and see if any settings have to be changed.

That would be great!
There is a lot of moaning on many forums about this including the ASUS ones.
I use skype myself, and I know others use teamspeak in games but I guess a mics a mic so should all be the same volume wise.

Another thing I would like to see on reviews (tho I doubt many will) is whether a card has stereo mix (creatives what U hear).
This is something creative are doing away with in their newer drivers in Vista.
I use mix a lot, and many have had issues with this in Vista or lack it should I say.
This may seem basic, but we had in with windows 95, and now they seem to be taking it away in Vista.
I'm guessing this ASUS card has it in XP and Vista as your review says "Karaoke Functions" but do they work in Vista?
split10
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:13:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Any news on this?
Yours would be the only review that tested mic volume if you did Smile

I'm sure you could just do it with something simple (but good) lke Audacity and say yes we could record voice over music using XX mic and yes or no that the output level meters went close to max.
I have the feeling your going to find it low like many on the asue forum.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:26:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry... Thought I had posted some preliminaries on this weeks ago. Skype works just fine. I am using this headphone / microphone combo...

http://www.bigbruin.com/2006/siberia_1

Not a problem in Skype at all. As for your other requests, I'll have to dig deeper into that. So you want voice communication while audio is also playing?
split10
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:15:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Sorry... Thought I had posted some preliminaries on this weeks ago. Skype works just fine. I am using this headphone / microphone combo...

http://www.bigbruin.com/2006/siberia_1

Not a problem in Skype at all.

Thanks for that Smile
Doctor Feelgood wrote:
As for your other requests, I'll have to dig deeper into that. So you want voice communication while audio is also playing?

If you can. I don't know if you aware of this as you may never use it, but getting stereo mix in Vista (Creatives What U Hear) is not like it used to be on all cards.
Who would use it? This is a quote from another forum as to why it might be needed.

1. I have a radio program I produce. The "stereo mix" is what allowed me to do voice-overs and such the way a real radio program does. I now have to use another old system I dug out of the closet to do this.
2. I have a device I connect to the USB port to copy VCR tapes to DVD for some of my customers. Things like family videos and such. That device uses, you guessed it, "stereo mix" for the audio portion of the tape. Back to the old boat anchor system.
3. A radio station in the area contracts with me to make some of their commercials for them. Again, those require voice-over work. Without the "stereo mix" it's right back to the old system again.
4. I am part of a Bluegrass Gospel group. I used to use my laptop to make "master" recordings to use to make CDs for the group. That was handy because I could set up wherever we wanted to work. My old system is a desktop, so now we will have to move all the stuff for a desktop the next time we want to do that.
5. The company I work for does meetings via the web. I used to be the one that recorded the meetings to be played back later. There's a slight problem with that now since I can only record the video portion of the meetings and not the audio.
6. I used to be a member of a web site that does Karoke and allows you to record what you sing. This one is the thing I like to do, and it also uses "stereo mix" to mix the music with the voice from the mic. They are RIAA members and pay royalties for the music you use, BTW.

I'm sure there are many other uses, but he sums it up nicely.
It's also a feature Creative seem to be doing away with on their cards, and newer drivers creative release on some cards dont have it.
I appreciate that not all users want to do any of the above list, but it's a feature that I for one would use.
If the "Karaoke Functions" on the ASUS card work in Vista, then it has it....that simple really I guess.

It's a feature we have always had, but suddenly it's been taken away for some reason esp in Vista on a lot of cards.
A real nightmare for laptop users, but thats another story though I feel we will be hearing more of it.

Thanks anyway Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

davidcool
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 00:49:55    Post Subject: ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello,

Will the ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel PCI Express Sound Card work in a MAC Pro G5 running Snow Leopard? Also, can you run the outputs directly to speakers, or do you need some kind of receiver to power the speakers?

Thanks!
David
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:27:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi - It looks like this is Windows only - and while you could drive some very low powered speakers, you would want an amplifier for most applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: