Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
scsi to ide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felicev
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:10:55    Post Subject: scsi to ide Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello all Wave ,

I have a situation in which I need to recover some data off a 80pin SCSI drive. What we were thinking is to put the SCSI drive in a (IDE) desktop so that we can use it as an external drive. I'm just wondering what I need to get. Is there a 80pin SCSI to IDE adapter I can get? If so, where? I tried to google it and couldn't find anything. I found 68pin SCSI to IDE. I also found a 80pin to 68pin SCSI adapter/converter. So, now I'm wondering, should I get the 80pin->68pin adapter/converter and then attach it to the 68pin SCSI to IDE adapter?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome Smile

Thanks,
Felice
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:22:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yikes Never tried it. No clue if it would, or wouldn't work like that.

Remember an 80 pin SCSI drive is one that is used in hot swap so power also flows through that connection. When you convert to 68 pin you add an external power connector, then 68 pin to IDE would be a normal converter...

Lot's of converting, normally I'd say your insane to even think about it, but considering your in a recover situation it might be worth the risk.

This might also be another option http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8820994240&category=39969 and then you can get the converter http://cgi.ebay.com/SCA-Adapter-80-to-68-pin-ULTRA-SCSI-2-3-CONVERTER-LVD_W0QQitemZ180000308744QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11160QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem then all you need is a SCSI cable and you're good to go.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:26:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've never heard of such a thing. SCSI requires a much different controller than an IDE drive.

EDIT: found These, but they convert IDE optical drives to SCSI interface. I don't think you can go the other way because of how the SCSI drive interfaces with the controller.

If I were you, I'd grab a cheap SCSI controller and copy the data off the drive to another disk. (see above)

Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:31:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, just buy a cheap SCSI card and put it in your system. When you're done, sell it on ebay to make back some money.
felicev
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:27:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's a status. We had an Adaptec SCSI 29160 card in another system so I placed that in my system. I then went and bought a Ultra 160 80pin to 68pin scsi adapter at my local Fry's Electronics store.

Ok .. so, I plugged everything up and booted the PC. I only see the C: and D: (my cdrom) drives. I don't see the SCSI drive. I do see in Device Manager that the card is detected and is working properly. What am I missing?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:33:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

1) Make sure you have the driver (sounds like you do).

2) Go into Computer Management -> Disk Management; see if the drives show up in there. You might have to import them.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:00:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

EC speaks!
driver=correct
enabled in BIOS= correct on most systems
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: