Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: DreamCatcher 3.5.....THE LAST VARIENT!! 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:30:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote

............lets see if I can get this worklog caught up to "current" status shall we?

August - September

Interest in completing DC v3.5 was suddenly brought to the forefront due to several things - primarily domestic tranquility…….. so trying to get some ideas together as my number of 'puters will be downsized to 1.

Going to keep DC even though it isn't by far the most up to date but it is my "bling" machine with water cooling. So now it has picked up several additional duties. It will now have to work as a mild gamer, folder, server, folder, business apps / web surfing, and did I mention folding?

First up are the 2 x WD5000KS-00MNB0 400GB that were in another build for file storage. Heat will be the major factor now with the two new WD 400s (they can be like toaster themselves), so please review my earlier cooling questions! They will occupy the HDD cage, which requires me to move the primary HDD up to the top 5.25 bay where I was "hiding" my psu cables. So it was time to get off my butt and do something!

Dang this is the first time stuff has moved on the work table in months!! Matter of fact even found a few "cob webs" in the case.......that is sad. Rolling Eyes Sad

I started with the HDDs.......... mounting the 2 x 400s in the HDD tray and trying to figure out how to mount the Seagate in the top bay. It sure was nice having the empty bay to store the "excess" lengths of PSU cables.

Another issue that was now bugging me was the processor……….while I liked the 8750 it is a PI and would really like to have a PII for my one and only system (love the one in YsSMN v3.0). However the deal with the boss was to build with what I have and there are still over a “C” note which would not get by her.

Then she made a “fatal” mistake! My wife is a rabid Wizard of Oz nut, and she found something in a catalogue that she really liked and ordered it. So my question to her was “if we’re in this austerity program, how is it you can get this statue and I’m not allowed to buy anything?” Dang if it didn’t work, but a new item had to be under a $100 bucks to work………..and indeed a miracle did occur! Found a used 720 BE within budget, so boys and girls here is what I'll be now trying to crowd into what is DreamCatcher v3.5......anything "new" (from the first post) to this build is in bold italics

CASE: SilverStone SOG1
PSU: Enermax MODU82+
MOBO: Biostar TA760G AM2+ (04/28/09)
CPU: AMD PII X3 720BE (09/05/09)
HSF: Cuplex XT di
GPU: Evga 8800GTS w/AquagraFX 8800
MEMORY: TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF
Primary HDD: Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB[/I][/B]
Secondary HDDs: 2 x WD5000KS-00MNB0 400GB
Optical Drive 1: Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S

A major concern was if the 720 and the 760G would play nice together as Biostar can be somewhat vague at times when they describe a bios.

SO, I now have it going and the mobo recognized the cpu with a bios update, and here it is.....mobo, cpu, together, and running a default on the tech station.

Using an Opty heatpipe cooler for initial 'playing" and then will start hooking up the W/C after I happy with what is there.

Everything seemed to work so I managed to flash the latest bios using biostar’s thingy. Before I tried to do anything that remotely looked like an OC I added passive coolers to the mosfet (the ones on the 780 originally!). Those will be cooled by the 60mm fan in the case. Smile

Now on to some "mild" oc joy! Rolling Eyes ………..Initial oc'ing........best 8M run of SPi

However I'm was getting a mixed bag of reboots, did manage one boot up at 3.8GHz but it's down hill from there. Sad Okay so far 30+ minutes into a prime run @ 17.5 x 200 the best I can figure from SpdFan is that the cores are between 41 - 45C. Guess that's not too bad considering the hsf and vcore = 1.5ish v. Gonna let it run the night for S & Gs and then play with the XP-Pro thingy tomorrow. Then I guess it is on to mounting the wc stuff. :mrgreen:

Okay the prime ran 8+ hours and off to other things.......

1. Need to do a clean install of Pro, oh well.
2. After a day of mostly getting the honey dos done it was on to water cooling items!!

• Bolt 'em on
  • Fill 'er up
  • Leak test (remembered to make sure all the fittings were pushed all the way in time this time!
  • Power it up and let it run
  • Running Prime to see temps (41 - 43C all cores)
  • Running F@H GPU for temps (53 - 57)

3. Haven't down loaded the aqua computer software yet because of going to do the install. The temps may drop (that'll be good because of going into the mATX case) when I get the fans to start sooner and fun faster.

It is amazing the even with the 3 x 40s on the mem cooler and the 1 x 50 sitting on the mosfet coolers how quiet it is!

Two low notes though........just realized the coolant is non-UV (bought lights for that! Sad ) and if you'll look closely at this pic you'll see what happen when you let you cooling block sit too long without anything in it! :o :rolleyes:

It appears when I flushed the block it still had enough of something to tarnish the copper.

So I went oc'ing again with great expectations now that I'm water cooled........BIG mistake! :oops: Got a bit greedy and it has cost me big!! #-o Ended up spending most of a weekend attempting 3 repairs and finally had to start a total install after wipping the HDD. Really borked that one! ](*,)

Everything has been running fine since the install, but haven't done anything OC wise. But then again I need to get it "boxed" up and off the Tech Station first! Laughing

Did one small "temp test" kind of thing. Have had the 2 x 120s on the Station running since start up but figured they won't be there in the SG01 so ran a test with 'em off. Temperature wise there isn't much of a difference when the room temp is close, just the fans speed up (meaning the SW is working!). Yikes Grin Running classic and GPU folding.

With fans and then without.........

DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved