Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: DreamCatcher 3.5.....THE LAST VARIENT!! 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:20:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Okay have an air movement question..........

The SG01 has two fans on the left side over the gpu area. As of right now they are both set to "exhaust" the air. Also on the left side is the fan to cool the HDD which is currently set to "intake". That leaves absolutely nothing for the area to the right of the GPU. This 2/3s of the case currently does not have a fan of any sort as the CPU & NB are water cooled and the mosfets are passive.

Now, should I make the HDD fan also “exhaust” so as to try and create some kind of “cross flow” air pattern? Meaning that the left side would be totally exit hopefully pulling the air through the holds on the right side?

Here are some quick and dirties (Paint & factory pics)......... Red = exhaust and Green = intake, also note that this shows the factory windowed version. Same idea if I use my modded "non-windowed" cover, it is just that on the right side the holes go all away across.

First the left side to show the fan for the HDD. Currently it is set up to draw air in to the HDD. Proposing to turn it around to blow air out from inside the case

Then here are the two 3/4 views to show the "airflow". The fans in the top can be reversed if either is wanted for intake.

Finally managed to spend some time on this! Two big delays was waiting on the I/O backplate to arrive and resolve the issue of the mobo audio header to case front panel cable pin outs. Ended up with a 50 – 50 solution…….found a source for the backplate and gave up on the audio. As far as the windowed cover that is still “in progress” but wanted to at least get the system running so that went to the back burner.

Again a concern is the lack of air flow inside the case (as mentioned above), so after some thought and input will try the following:

1. Make all fans on the left side of the case exhaust with hopes it will cause some kind of air movement through the case. Adding a fan or fans will be limited by how much (or little) space I have. Also I believe one of the reasons for water cooling was to delete fan noise.
2. Mount a cooling fan for the mosfet passive coolers

On the mosfet part of the deal I rounded up ye old trusty 60mm that I initially had cooling the NB cooler on the Abit NF-M2 nView / Opty 1210 mobo assembly. I then grabbed the two brackets that were mounting the 120mm fan on the Tech Station that went into YsSMN v3.0.

By mounting the brackets on the “bottom” I was able to lower it in the case to
1. Not be too close to the PSU
2. Match a couple of holes in the chassis and miss the water cooling pass throughs
3. I think of something later!

Another thing addressed was how to power the shear number of 3-pin fans as this mobo only has 1 fan header excluding the cpu. Managed to track down a neat unit the Sunbeam Multi Fan Power Port # MFPP. Here you can see it in the initial setting up period

In setting up the modular cables I’ve split the power up as follows:
1. SATA cable powers the HDD & Optical drive
2. One Molex cable powers just the Aqua Computer power card / water pump and fans.
3. Second Molex cable powers all other fans and “extras”
4. Then of course the PCI-e video power cable.
5. This left me with two spare power plugs.

Also I ended up moving the optical drive down to the bottom 5.25” bay as I used the upper one for all of the excess PSU cable “lengths”.

So here we have it all together waiting to be leak tested.

And then the beginning of the __________ (you fill in the blanks!)

A major FUBAR!!! Set everything up on the work bench to leak test. Aqua Computer provides a PSU mobo “bypass plug” that allows one to run the PSU without powering up the mobo. This is so you can fill the Aquaduct 240 PRO Mark II internal res and get the coolant though out the loop. In my usual rush I forgot to turn the PSU off and as soon as I plugged in the supply the coolant started filling the loop. So I grabbed the coolant bottle and started filling the res……..then occurred to me maybe I should check for leaks!! Sure enough the tube going to the GPU inlet was not seated all the way in and I was quickly creating a mess.

After I got that cleaned up I started anew….topped off the res, closed the cover, and started looking for more leaks. Sure miss having the mobo tray from the MX6 as I needed to use a flash light to see everything. Notice a large air bubble in the GPU so started moving the case around to get to move. Then everything quit.

Okay so I plugged the power cable in the mobo to start again, except the only thing that happened was the fans started to move then quit. Oh snit I then remembered that I read some where that one should only use the power jumper for a short period before possibly screwing up the power supply.

I tried all kinds of things to get the PSU to power stuff up but with no joy. Just as a test I tried an older PSU to see it the water cooling pump would run as I couldn't get to anything else easily. Yep it runs…….

So now I looking at the fact I may have just killed the PSU.

Based on some initial testing, I declared the PSU as tote and looked to replace it. In the mean time here the box sits with no leaks and no power supply………

So everything came to a screeching halt until I get the new PSU, of course thought about going back to the window if I got over my depression of my 3rd PSU biting the dust.
DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved