Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: DreamCatcher 3.5.....THE LAST VARIENT!! 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:24:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Early March ā€˜til Early Summer

Story behind the GPU.....

In the beginning the original GPU was an Evga 8800GT SC, but I wanted to max the folding abilities so tracked down a G92 variant of the GTS. The big concern was if the water block would match and went on a wing and a prayer!

We start out by looking at the GTS I acquiredā€¦ā€¦front, back side (lots of screws!!), and cover sticker removed. Nothing like ā€œcustomā€ coolers! Then you have it with the cooler removedā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

And guess what? There isnā€™t that much of a difference! Here you have the back side with the GT on the bottom and then from the front sideā€¦ā€¦.can you see the ā€œobviousā€ difference? A minor concern I have/had with this particular card is the fact the area under the screws seemed corroded.

For me the major physical dif, from what I see, is in the VR area with more and larger chips for the GTSā€¦..

In looking at the backside of the GTS cooler it appears a lot of thought went into the casting as unlike a lot of gpu coolers both the memory and VR chips have ā€œindividualā€ contact surfaces as opposed to relying on just a large flat area with ā€œhope it makes contactā€.

And of course half the question is answered as here we have the GTS cooler mounted on the GT. In running GPU folding it appears the GT is actually a few degrees cooler than when it had its own cooler mounted.

So on to the water cooling block!! I ordered the version with the clear plex cover as I wanted to see the coolant in the block. Sadly how much one can see the gpu block will have a major impact on wither DC v3 is in the SOG 01 or 03! Love the look of the brass and there will be no trouble to see who made it and what it is forā€¦ā€¦.then attached.

In doing a dummy assembly using my dead NF-M2 mobo and the gpu I will not be able to exit out the back of the block as I originally wanted to. Itā€™ll have to go around the end of the card like it did with the Twinplex water block
DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved