Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: DreamCatcher 3.5.....THE LAST VARIENT!! 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:21:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Now on to cooling things…..Since the mosfets on this board are kinda laid out rather “uniquely” I ended up using the Enzotech BMR-C1s left over from doing the M3A78-CM. These are for video cards and their 14mm square size allowed me to cover 2 chips at a time. I then finished it off with Enzotech MOS-C1s for the “little” guys. When you get to the bottom mobo pictures you see them a wee bit better. While I’m on the subject, any recommendations on where I could use more of the MOS-C1s as I have a few left over?

While part of v2.0 worklog, I’ll be using my NB water block mod. In the beginning an Abit NF-M2 nView was to be the mobo and I planned to water cool the NB cooler as that particular board’s was running hot. I managed to tripped across and purchase an older aqua computer twinplex chip cooler on the cheap

however that turned into a story of it’s own!

After waiting with great expectations the chipset block came and even though it is the "older" version it is new in the box and a purrddy!

Only one problem.......... it is for an Intel mobo. Bang Head Duh For some reason when the seller sent me the pic (post above) it didn't sink in about the Intel part. Especially when he said he'd include the other bracket. But I still don't have the mounting hardware and I'd need a different plex block to go with the bracket. As I don't feel like taking the dremel to the Intel version! :rolleyes:

What you have here are pictures that show the progress of the mod for the NB block. A major issue to remember is that fact the plex section of the water block for a non-Intel board needs to be relieved to accept the metal mounting bracket. That is why I couldn’t just throw the bracket in place between the copper and the plex. Originally I had thought of just drilling or slotting the mounting holes in the plex “legs” but didn’t have sufficient material to feel comfortable doing that. The mounting bolts that hold the two halves together are long enough to allow the bracket to be mounted on top.

First off I mounted the bracket to see if there are any issues. You can see a gap that also would no have allowed me to use it in the “normal” place. I needed to cut off the legs as they were hitting components on the mobo. So the order is, test fit, mark, cut, file/sand (for looks), and finally together.

As I didn’t want to take a chance of braking through the clearance holes I scribed my cut line a bit “off edge”. Also wanting to have more “hand” control I made the cuts with a “hack saw” instead of using the dremel. Here you have it ready to cut, half way done, and finally awaiting the file.

The sawing was a bit ragged and on one side had a bit more material than originally planned. I used two different files and then finally 1000 grit paper. It wasn’t a total match but give the amount of time I put into the “polishing” (very little) it didn’t turn out too bad!

It seems this time the fates smiled on me as the block ended up working with the 780G even though originally setup for the nView. Took off the stock NB cooler and found a mess…..not only did it have the pink thermal pad stuff but it looks like someone may have thrown on a bit of thermal paste to boot! All I know is it didn’t want to cleanup up too easily. So what you have here is the mounting of the blocks……..

The following shows the blocks, heat sinks, and memory cooling fan in place.

DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved