Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: YsSMN v3.0 Worklog.....The Last Version! 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:05:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote

04/12/09

Ran into several problems the biggest being that the sensor associated with the NB was giving some really weird readings and I thought that the senor was blown. That discussion can be found at NB Temp Issue with 790GX XE / 720BE.

Also another major issue was the mosfet cooler kept falling off even after trying the new thermal tape. Re-cleaned everything and tried another piece of thermal tape and this time I decided to leave the system lying on the mobo side of the case in hopes the thermal tape would “set”.

However when I decided to reseat the NB cooler I decided to work on this issue as well. Went with the “quick and dirty” jerry rig on this….used a piece of wire wrap that was lying around. Just hope it doesn’t get so hot as to melt the plastic coating!!

The tape seems to be holding so figure with this to kind of “hold it in place” I should be okay. Well 6 hours later it is still “stuck” to the mosfets, the other times it fell off in 15 – 30 minutes.

As I mentioned in the other thread it appears the HSF and NB cooler hit each other. So out came the dremel and I notch the fins on the NB cooler, and was disappointed to learn that it is aluminum that has been anodized copper. The next series of pics will show what it looks like in place from several directions. In some of the pictures you can see where the fins on the 8700 were bent.

Another “problem” I needed to address was the fact the 120mm Tt Smart Fan mounted in the top front was running at max speed and really noisy. As I had to take everything apart I decided to look into what I might be able to do about that. As it turns out I was able to hook the thermal probe up and stick it into the CNPS 8700 so that it was fairly close to the CPU. I ran several tests with OCCT and it appears to work fairly well. The fan will increase in speed by almost 500 RPM under load. Under light usage it is a quiet 1400ish RPM….big difference from the 2500+ it was running! Here you see the leads

So everything is now buttoned back up and it appears I managed to resolve several issues at one time. Now to see what the best OC stable will be and figure out how to use the extra cores for folding when I’m not using it!
DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved