Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Installing AMD 64 X2 with stock heatsync/fan?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:08:26    Post Subject: Installing AMD 64 X2 with stock heatsync/fan? Reply with quote View Single Post

I just got my new AMD Athlon 64 X2 yesterday and I was looking at the stock heatsync fan that came with it.

Yes, I'm going to use the stock fan for a while. I promise I'll change it out sometime soon.

Anyway, the bottom of the heatsync has the grey pad of conductive material on it and the package didn't come with any thermal grease. I have a thing of Arctic Silver 5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007

What should I do?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:24:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You either use it as is... the grey square is a thermal interface, but generally they aren't very good ata ll. Or, you scrape the bottom clean of all the grey gook, clean it up really well with alcohol (or whatever), and then apply your AS5 before installation.

I'd take the second route.
Tech-Daddy
Rated R

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:39:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Agreed... if you have the AS5, gently remove the thermal pad, clean it with pure alcohol (not rubbing alcohol that has lanolin in it), then apply the AS5.
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:45:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, great. I'll do that. If I scratch the surface while removing the pad, should I sand it to a superfine finish first?

Also, any tips on the AS5 stuff? I heard it takes a while to set.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:13:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

here's the lapping guide, which is what you've just asked for. Grin http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/lappingguide/index.php?file=1
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:52:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
here's the lapping guide, which is what you've just asked for. Grin http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/lappingguide/index.php?file=1

Cool guide. Thanks! Any guides on thermal compounds, or is it just as simple as you'd think?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:59:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just apply a razor thin, consistently covered layer of paste over the entire area that the CPU will touch. I generally use an old credit card as my edge to smear it on.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:02:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Macenko
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 25 May 2006 21:24:57    Post Subject: AMD 64 X2 Reply with quote View Single Post

I just also put a sytem with an AMD 64 X2 in it. Mine is also stock for the moment. I was planning on trying a WC system that would cover my all the chips including the VGA's of which I have 2. Can a better fan do just as good as a WC system?
johndoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:48:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The stock heatpipe HSF that comes with the dual core opterons is superb. so far there have been to the best of my knowledge two reviews of it and in both it was either above or at par with other high performance air cooling solutions. plus, it comes with an 80 mm delta fan Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: