Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Router Issues
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilterra
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 09 May 2005 18:27:54    Post Subject: Router Issues Reply with quote View Single Post

Hiya all..

I am having an issue with my router renewing the IP...Usually everynight, sometimes every other night Comcast sends out new IP's or atleast that is what I am assuming..
So I lose my connection every time this happens and need to unplug and reboot the modem, then recycle the router and reboot my computer. I dont know very much about this sort of stuff...but is there a setting or something that could be causing the
router not to renew the ip? It is a older router, have had it for a few years now.
I have the latest firmware I can get for it ect..Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Jerry
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:17:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

is it something wrong with ur ISP or something ?
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:28:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does it happen if you take the router out of the picture? i.e. Connect directly to the modem.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:20:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It could be a problem with your modem, have you called your ISP?
Lilterra
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:27:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have called my isp..they said it happens because I use a
router;p.......If Im plugged directly into the modem it works
fine and doesnt do that.
renovation
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:40:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

what brand of router ?
i found mine would over heat like a dummy . i used it as a letter holder on my desk . and that would cut off the air flow between it and the wall . remove anything blocking the air holes around the unit and see if that works !
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:48:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Read further down in his original post... HAHAHAHA! Grin (yes, yes I'm an a$$)

But Ren does have a point, it's worth a shot. Also I would recommend trying a few things such as doing a factory reset (remember to write down all your info first):
Quote:
Reset the Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router by holding down the reset button for at least three seconds and reset your cable or DSL modem by powering the unit off and then on.

Or if you haven't done it yet, clone the MAC address of your computer as the WAN port's MAC address on your router: http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=93
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:01:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Clone the MAC, and be sure the router and computers are set for DHCP.
while Comcast gives short IP leases (2-24 hours) while doing local maintainace and upgrade work, (which they are doing alot of right now) their normal lease is 1 week.
and they usually assign your IP by the MAC "learned"address (from your routers MAC, cloned or not). If I clone a different MAC to the computer I get a new IP, but when I reclone my main MAC (within the lease time window) my old IP that I've had for 6 months returns.
You must SAVE and powercycle the modem/router and computers after cloning for it to save that info, if it continues have ComCast manually reregister the the routers MAC. Keep calling until you get a tech with this skill/ability (many only answer the phone and read from the menu, thinking is not in their skillset Rolling Eyes ) or get bumped up to 2.5 tier support. (<<<more experienced, still not brain surgeons)
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:53:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Could simply be time for a new router. My Linksys BEFSR41 just stopped holding onto IP addresses not to long ago. I had to reset it all of the time just to get onto the internet. Finally, it failed all-together.

I've replaced it with a Netgear unit and the internet has been flawless ever since.

Digital Eclipse
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:15:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a linksys and it started acting up. I still havent figured it out which was the problem but I reset it to factory default, but before you do that go make sure the Keep Alive:Redial Period is set to 20 seconds, I found a sprint white paper that suggested that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: