Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Another "What to Use in RAID" Question
Trying to make 2 x 1TB WD Blacks work....if possible
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:13:47    Post Subject: Another "What to Use in RAID" Question Reply with quote View Single Post

Have some questions concerning running RAID 1 and how to handle it hardware and software wise.

When initially looking at HDDs I wanted at a minimum 2 x 1TB with moderate speed, cost, and of course reliability. Their only function is file storage/backup.

One big request here >> when discussing this I would prefer it not to turn into a bloomin’ flame war over brand “loyalty”.

At any rate and for what ever reasons I currently have two WD1001FALS 1TB Blacks. As individual drives these are great but there has been statements floating around about their inability to be used in RAID. So is there a firmware, software solution or do I have to consider something else other than mirror backup? I would like to keep the drives because of the money spent.

Also these are to function like a file server and will need to be accessible from several home computers over a home network. Originally I thought the HDDs would reside in one of two computers I have, but with wanting to water cool both there is a chance they will end up in a external enclosure. I’m now finding that in itself can be a confusing and expensive endeavor…..another whole can of worms for a noob in this area.

Last edited by jedihobbit on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:44:32; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:42:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My first question would be - Why RAID 0 if these are just for storage/backup? Network speed will be the limit, so performance wouldn't be enhanced with RAID 0. I'd go with RAID 1 for redundancy as an extra layer of protection. Only issue with RAID 1 is that you would then have just 1TB of storage.

I'm not familiar with these drives to say they would / wouldn't work in RAID, but I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't.

As for an external enclosure - yeah, the choices are plentiful. Would you need an enclosure that has a network connection built in? Or do you happen to have a router or other network adapter that could accept a USB connected device? Many routers let you plug USB drives right in to them for fast / reliable sharing without the expense of a true NAS!
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:50:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
My first question would be - Why RAID 0 if these are just for storage/backup?

A very big DORH moment!! It is a typo and should be as you said RAID 1

Been looking at several of the 4 bay type externals that are NOT the NAS thing but has the RAID controller built in. The network would be / is set up with a Linksys WRT54GS
pZn
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:57:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

+1 : storage/backup with 2 hdrives => go for RAID1 (mirror).
FlyingLigerZ
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:41:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i feel like its a waste to use those hard drive for just plain storage. they are so expensive. if you want just good storage for good price, you should have gone with the samsung f3 or something.
pZn
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:53:22    Post Subject: Re: Another "What to Use in RAID" Question Reply with quote View Single Post

FlyingLigerZ wrote:
i feel like its a waste to use those hard drive for just plain storage. they are so expensive. if you want just good storage for good price, you should have gone with the samsung f3 or something.

jedihobbit wrote:
At any rate and for what ever reasons I currently have two WD1001FALS 1TB Blacks.

Constants are fixed Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: