Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Another "What to Use in RAID" Question 
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:13:47    Post Subject: Another "What to Use in RAID" Question Reply with quote

Have some questions concerning running RAID 1 and how to handle it hardware and software wise.

When initially looking at HDDs I wanted at a minimum 2 x 1TB with moderate speed, cost, and of course reliability. Their only function is file storage/backup.

One big request here >> when discussing this I would prefer it not to turn into a bloomin’ flame war over brand “loyalty”.

At any rate and for what ever reasons I currently have two WD1001FALS 1TB Blacks. As individual drives these are great but there has been statements floating around about their inability to be used in RAID. So is there a firmware, software solution or do I have to consider something else other than mirror backup? I would like to keep the drives because of the money spent.

Also these are to function like a file server and will need to be accessible from several home computers over a home network. Originally I thought the HDDs would reside in one of two computers I have, but with wanting to water cool both there is a chance they will end up in a external enclosure. I’m now finding that in itself can be a confusing and expensive endeavor…..another whole can of worms for a noob in this area.

Last edited by jedihobbit on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:44:32; edited 1 time in total

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved