Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ALC889 or Creative X-Fi?
Looking at possibly getting X-Fi Gamer or Titanium
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:19:37    Post Subject: ALC889 or Creative X-Fi? Reply with quote View Single Post

At the minute im having a look round at soundcards for my system cos i have a 5.1 surround sound system but for things like music and basic videos all that gets used is 2 channel stereo which seems abit of a s waste. Was looking at creatives X-Fi range as they have the CMSS 3D system that is supposed to upmix music and videos to surround sound. Ive currently got the Gigabyte EX58 UD5 board with the ALC889 realtek codec.

Anyone have any impressions of the X-Fi cards or the CMSS 3D software??

Thanks for any help Smile.

Coolermaster HAF 932 II Coolermaster Real Power M1000 II Gigabyte EX58-UD5 II i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz II Corsair H100 CPU Cooler II 24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz II 2x MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack SLI II Corsair F240 SSD II 2x3Tb Seagate (RAID0) II 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 II 1.5Tb Seagate 7200.11 II Pinoneer BluRay Writer
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:16:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Unless you have a reasonably good audio setup and/or are an audiophile, you most likely won't notice much of a difference. Just had a friend sell his X-fi a few months ago cause there wasn't much of a noticable difference in audio quality to him. I could tell a clear difference with my rather modest $100 headphones though.

I currently have an X-fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty edition that I got for free. CMSS-3D works reasonably well, for both speakers and headphones. The upmixing does a good job at separating the channels to accomodate the extra speakers. 5.1/7.1 to two channels on speakers is less impressive, but gets the job done. The highlight for me is the CMSS-3D virtual surround for headphones. It does an excellent job downmixing 5.1 to headphones for positional audio in games, although it lacks the depth of a regular 5.1 speaker system and makes the sound a little tinny to create the effect. Perfect for multiplayer FPS though.

Also beware of the X-fi Xtremeaudio, it's just a rebranded Audigy card.
anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:51:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeh i know about the Xtreme Audio card. Was looking at either the Gamer or Titanium editions tbh. The main reasons i am seriously looking at them over the onboard audio is the upmixing of stereo music and videos to 5.1 for my speaker setup. they arent overly expensive at all but it would be nice to have the rear speakers used as they are right behind my head lol. And the Crystaliser sounds good as i tend to compress all my music down to 128kbs for use on mp3's and such.
Coolermaster HAF 932 II Coolermaster Real Power M1000 II Gigabyte EX58-UD5 II i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz II Corsair H100 CPU Cooler II 24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz II 2x MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack SLI II Corsair F240 SSD II 2x3Tb Seagate (RAID0) II 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 II 1.5Tb Seagate 7200.11 II Pinoneer BluRay Writer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: