Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: ALC889 or Creative X-Fi? 
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:16:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a reasonably good audio setup and/or are an audiophile, you most likely won't notice much of a difference. Just had a friend sell his X-fi a few months ago cause there wasn't much of a noticable difference in audio quality to him. I could tell a clear difference with my rather modest $100 headphones though.

I currently have an X-fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty edition that I got for free. CMSS-3D works reasonably well, for both speakers and headphones. The upmixing does a good job at separating the channels to accomodate the extra speakers. 5.1/7.1 to two channels on speakers is less impressive, but gets the job done. The highlight for me is the CMSS-3D virtual surround for headphones. It does an excellent job downmixing 5.1 to headphones for positional audio in games, although it lacks the depth of a regular 5.1 speaker system and makes the sound a little tinny to create the effect. Perfect for multiplayer FPS though.

Also beware of the X-fi Xtremeaudio, it's just a rebranded Audigy card.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved