Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
My New Toy
ASUS 17" Widescreen Laptop
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:53:49    Post Subject: My New Toy Reply with quote View Single Post

My new laptop showed up today... I went with one Blue|Fusion posted, an ASUS F7KR-X1. - Newegg.com

Not the most ultra-portable laptop you will find! 17" is a big screen... Here it is with my 19" screen that does the same resolution. Full size keyboard, too:

Dual core 1.8GHz Athlon 64 X2
1GB DDR2 667 MHz (2GB stick is waiting to be installed)
HD 2400 graphics
17" widescreen
DVDRW with Lightscribe
120GB SATA drive
HDMI connection

Came with a free bag from Newegg that they sell for $60 on its own...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:59:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Very nice!
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:36:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ahh, nothing like a new computer with tons of useless software to remove...and those annoying stickers.

First laptop I have seen with HDMI! No blu ray? That would be cool for hi def movie night.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:52:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It definitely isn't bloated like Dells or HPs I have seen. A few apps that people may want, that I don't... Norton 90 day trial, MS Office 60 day trial... Stuff like that.

The video is pretty cool. HDMI, VGA, and S-video outputs. Also has an eSATA connector, a Firewire, 5 USBs, and one audio jack doubles as SPDIF. Now I just need my HDMI capable TV fixed to use it on there.

Blu-ray would be interesting, but not at this price. Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:29:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Let me know how it goes Doc... Misty and I are in the market for a laptop, and I like what you get on that one for the price point.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:40:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Will do. So far, so good.

Slightly pissed at some misinformation I got online in a "user" review somewhere. Person stated there was only one DIMM slot so you couldn't keep the stock 1GB stick and upgrade, and had to use a 2GB stick. Seemed odd, but even the Crucial memory configurator said there was one slot... Maybe it meant one FREE slot, because there are two slots.

So, now I have 3GB - 2GB stick and a 1GB stick. Seems to work fine, and I don't even know yet if this might do dual channel, but a matched pair would be nice. Could have just bought a 1GB stick if I knew, and if I get a second 2GB stick, Windows Vista Home Premium won't see all of it.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:49:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ran the Vista performance deally, and the graphics are a much weaker link than I expected. But, for a laptop that won't be gaming it looks good to me...

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:09:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:19:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HD2600 might be a nice bump. I think I looked at the first one you listed there, but I couldn't justify $200 more and a rebate. 1GB more memory is less than $20, wasn't sure I wanted a webcam, and 40GB more disk space isn't worth anything to me.

That second one is cool since it isn't so big, and has a 512MB HD2600 onboard... Plus a dual core 2GHz CPU. Hmmm... I need to stop looking at other things or I might get buyer's remorse.

I have to say I am liking the full size keyboard and not always typing jibberish like I did on my older, smaller laptop... I might be stuck at 17" now... Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:11:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Yea, I think I'm leaning more towards the 2nd one. 17" is tempting though, but it's 3 lbs more.

My POS Dell I have for work is a 15.4" LCD and it's fine for most things. I'm going to wait to see what my Tax guy says (the IRS is trying to say we owe them more money for last year... just from what my dumb a$$ can tell they are full of it on at least part of it), and then look to see what we can get.

I was looking at the Acer's too. Have to see how they compare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: