Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
3:2 Ratio FSB/RAM multiplier a Gift form ASUS!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:17:58    Post Subject: FSB memory controller 3:2 Ratio for Sys. RAM Reply with quote View Single Post

3:2 FSB memory controller?

Hello I hope yall are friendly foke here. I have a, I don't have a clue ? My ASUS P4C 800E MB is taking the wind out of my overclock. The FSB when overclocked keeps my RAM form overclocking and as a matter of fact it slows it down with a 3:2 ratio of FSB/RAM. My FSB is at about 900+- a few and the RAM is dead on 160 showing a 2700 MHz bandwidth. When set to defalts at 800MHz FSB or 3200 not overclocked its a 1:1 ratio and my RAM is running at 3200 or 200Mhz. Now does anyone know what the deal is, I reset the the the RAM to 3 3 3 6 4 the defalt is 3 3 3 3 8 and the voltage well it don't matter either it just wont go any faster the the 3:2.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:33:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, and welcome! Definitely friendly people here... and hopefully we can help you.

In your BIOS, what kind of settings do you have for the DDR? I haven't seen that board, but I assume it is pretty flexible. It sounds like it is some sort of automatic mode, but perhaps you need to go in and manually set the speed, or at least the ratio. Or is that what you are doing?

Mr. T
Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:31:00    Post Subject: Manually set Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh man I been waiting for a reply. Yes I have set the FSB to 240 that gets me an overclock of 960 FSB and a CPU running at 3840MHz. I have tried to manually set the RAM latencies at the default setting in hopes of preserving my 3200MHz RAM but it has some type of defaulting of a FSB to RAM ratio setting that keeps the Ram well under its normal speed of 200Mhz . My FSB is running at 240 but my RAM is just 160. I popped the voltage from 2.6 to 2.8 and nothing. I called ASUS and they were not help full. I ran Sandra to no avail.

Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:33:41    Post Subject: Ramed Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd follow ya lls clue and buy that Corsair 3200 but I gota get this figured out first.
Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:43:51    Post Subject: 3:2 Ratio Reply with quote View Single Post

I can not find a Ration setting that I recognize.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:09:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Taking a quick look at the manual, I see a BIOS page called "Advanced - Configure System Frequency/Voltage".

Looks like you need to take it out of Auto and it seems to only have 3 other choices... 233MHz, 266MHz, and 400MHz. That seems weak. Maybe there is improvements in a later flash to the BIOS. But, if you set it to 400MHz, it should stay there, regardless of FSB.

I have an ABIT P4 board, and it lets you set the memory by percentage of the FSB. With more than 3 choices! Laughing
Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:57:36    Post Subject: Been there done that but thanks keep the ideas coming tho Reply with quote View Single Post

As to setting it at 266MHz or 400MHZ does not work either because it fails to boot at any of those settings. It should be set to MHz. As to latest Bios I got it and I don't know what else to say. I have but a good 10 hours into trying to get it no do that 3:2 ratio. Thanks for helping maybe it will one day be figured out. You name it I have mostly tired it. Maybe a none ASUS Bios is the answer. I think they want big $$ for a custom Bio tho.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:02:58    Post Subject: 200 Mhz I ment to say Reply with quote View Single Post

I left out 200 MHz I may get it to work one day and yes the three options sucks. I would do alot of things diffrently knowing what I know now. But we all learn.
Ididntdoit
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:30:03    Post Subject: 3:2 Ratio FSB/RAM multiplier a Gift form ASUS!! Reply with quote View Single Post

Sys. specs.

I any attachment show up they are *.tex messages of th system profiles clocked and not clocked
MB:ASUS P4C 800E
RAM: 2 Dimms of PC3200 regular Crucial at 512Mg