Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
LinuxMCE 0704 Released
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:27:30    Post Subject: LinuxMCE 0704 Released Reply with quote View Single Post

I thought of Modulok and his media center adventures when I saw this...

Quote:
LinuxMCE is a free, open source add-on to Kubuntu including a 10' UI, complete whole-house media solution with pvr + distributed media, and the most advanced smarthome solution available. It is stable, easy to use, and requires no knowledge of Linux and only basic computer skills.

http://linuxmce.org/
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:56:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

lol, well here is a thought for ya...

I tried linuxmce on ubuntu...installed the debian package and burned the linuxmce cd (packages). I clicked on the icon (created by the debian package) and nothing happened.

I quickly restored an image and tossed the cd.

/me where is the thumbs down smiley?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:59:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sounds like operator error to me... Besides: "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release"

Laughing
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:23:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

doesn't matter, mythtv is nicer and a little easier to install.

but the linuxmce does have a lot of home automation that is really awesome if you have the proper equipment and setup.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:12:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I recently got a Gyration Universal Media Center Remote. Out of the box some buttons worked with Ubuntu/MythTV.

I decided to try LinuxMCE again (since they featured the first generation Gyration Remote).

It's a REALLY LONG INSTALL, but it has a ton of potential. First you need to install a full Kubuntu Desktop. Then get LinuxMCE CD1 & CD2. Run a small .deb package that starts the install. After I went through the setup, I left it to install overnight (it is said to take a few hours).

When I woke up today, I tried the "Gyration" part of my remote, WORKED PERFECTLY!

I played around with the LinuxMCE a little after I got it configured with my setup. I did not know LinuxMCE actually includes MythTV (with other stuff, like home automation, security, and VOIP software).

I would say in a few years if I were to get the right equipment and setup, it would be awesome to get it all setup with LinuxMCE....But for now, with just having my Viewsonic 32" LCDTV and HTPC MythTV is just fine...just need to get my new remote working.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:38:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i remember somebody talking to me about how the full version of LinuxMCE has some code in it that they aren't legally allowed to distribute so you have to find an obscure torrent to get it. Anybody know anything more about that?

Note: I've been playing around with LinuxMCE for the past few months on a buddies kubuntu box, it's a good piece of software. You can control a crazy amount of things with it Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: