Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need help to configure a NAT.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I3ur$ucu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:08:10    Post Subject: Need help to configure a NAT. Reply with quote View Single Post

Hy. I have a problem. I have a LAN and my ISP doesn't allow me to share my internet connection (I don't know why....) and I want to share it with my friends.

The connection is made without a DHCP (when I signed the contract they gave me my IP, the gateway IP and the DNS IP, so I have a static IP).

Still, at this point, I am sharing my internet connection through a proxy program(is called FreeProxy and it has HTTP, SOCKS 4/4a/5, FTP and some other ones that I don't use), because I found out on the internet that it can't be detected or something like that. Anyway, they didn't found out that I am using it.

But I want to play online games from my LAN, but they don't work through a proxy. And I found out that a NAT could help me, that will make my computer to act as a gateway.

The problem is: can my ISP detect that I use a NAT ? And, if there is a way, how to setup the NAT so that could not detect it ?

I wave download the "Comtun 4.5" program and I was wondering if someone could explain how can they detect me and what could I do so that they could not detect the NAT.

They have a manual here "http://www.linkbyte.com/manual.shtml" and if someone will want to have a quick look at it and tell me what to do I will be very grateful.

Thanks.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:05:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

By sharing your internet, do you mean on an internal network in your house? If so, you just need a NAT router. You can buy a Linksys router for about $50 and it does NAT.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:51:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Or are you hosting things at home and you're looking to get around ISP restrictions on that? But I guess that doesn't address playing games from home... unless you're hosting the game server.
I3ur$ucu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:22:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know that a NAT will be the best choice and it will give me what I need, but the problem is that, in the contract it says that I shouldn't chose such a software and I was wondering if they could find out that I have a NAT installed.

P.S.: It's for my internal network and now I am using a proxy software (HTTP,FTP and SOCKS 5) but this is just for browsers, yahoo messenger and so on, but I want to play online games.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:45:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have to agree with BF, BUY a basic home router, even the cheapest $10 special will (read the specs just to be sure) support NAT (it's NAT (Network Address Translation) not "a Nat" Confused )

Basically you install the router with the WAN IP (the one provided by your ISP) and clone the MAC (Media Access Control) address from current registered computer and the ISP will see it as the main computer.
On your side (LAN) the router can provide DHCP (dynamic IP addressing) or static addresses , (whatever you want to setup)
Then you no longer need to proxy anything and each computer can access the everything internet and game/share within the LAN independantly.
Yes, it CAN be done with software and extra NIC's (esscentially with your computer acting as a router) but it is so much easier and cheaper, with less overhead and problems to use some basic off the shelf home networking gear.
I3ur$ucu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:10:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When I said "a NAT" I meant the program that does NAT. I agree with you, but I found this program that will do NAT in my network and I was wandering if the ISP could detect that I am sharing the internet connection through a NAT server. Yes or No ? Maybe in time I will buy a router but for the time being I would need to use this program that I mentioned above.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:30:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When your ISP says you can't share your internet connection, they mean outside of your house. You can use NAT in your house. You can send them a big sign they can put on their servers that says "I USE NAT!" and they won't care. But no, they couldn't really tell if you have NAT or not, anyway.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:22:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If they look at your traffic patterns they can assume you are using NAT and multiple computers.

It's if they care to look, if you start using a ton of traffic every day, they may start looking.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:46:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Everything on your side of the NAT box will appear as one computer to your ISP, but like Cheezy says, if your traffic jumps significantly (as in you are sharing your connection with 4 or 5 other users who are bittorrent junkies) they can tell pretty easily no matter what program or equipment you run. Also, I strongly recommend just buying a basic home router (should do NAT). It will probably be cheaper simpler and easier. It could also save you money because you wouldn't have to leave your computer on so the other computers can access the internet.
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:47:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for all your replies and advices. As I said, in the future I may buy a router, but now, I've just installed Comtun 4.5 and it works great. I need NAT just for plain a online game once a while and what I have now is enough.

Once again, thanks for your answers. Cheers ! Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: