Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
memtest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:57:59    Post Subject: memtest Reply with quote View Single Post

Im wanting to run that memtest86 program .However while reading the site none of it make any sense to me. I dont know how to copy to cd or whatever.

Anyone could gave me big step by step how to download and how to run it and then read the results or how would i know if they have errors or whatnot?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:02:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You need to download the CD image (ISO) and make a CD from it using your CD mastering software.

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

After you make that, boot the computer off the CD and let it run. If it finds any errors with the memory it will list them at the bottom of the screen.

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:23:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

any reason you can't run memtest in windows?
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:05:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes. When you have Windows running, more memory register is being used by Windows, meaning not all the memory can be tested by memtest86+. The memtest86+ program is very small in size once loaded into RAM so when it runs in the "lowmem" addressable memory (which is only a few KB), the rest of the RAM can be tested, and also, it can perform more types of tests since it doesn't have to worry about killing Windows in RAM.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:11:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Any perticular issues you're having that make you want to run memtest?
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:31:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok, I normally able to run three apps or so just fine. last few days When i run more then two apps or so the system seems to be slowing down, more then normal.

For exp: I play cs:s and have avg virus scanner running, and listen to winamp everything would be fine, The last few days while doing the same thing ,playing css is getting laggy and jerky and not running as smooth as it should. I stop the virus scanner and only have css and winamp playing and its ok again.

Any suggestions?
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:55:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wouldn't do an AV scan while playing a game. I assume you have a dual core to ever be able to do that.

Maybe check for spyware...that could be slowing you down more than normal.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:01:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Having a A/V program in the background does not mean he is running a scan while gaming (me hopes). AVG is pretty lightwight, and don't see why this would cause any problems while even gaming (I don't have any problems, atleast).

I would bet against it being a memory problem, and more of a malware/virus problem. As every Windows user knows, if you have unprotected websex, you will catch a virus. Case in point: my sister. I have to wipe her computer clean every 4 months or so because she refuses to take my advice and always presses the "Yes" button on sites that installs ActiveX, Java, anything so she can play some online game. So after 4 months, there are so much virii and malware on the system that it goes from a capable machine to mind-boggling slow.

Of course, I base this information on nothing and comes with absolutely no warranty Smile.

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:26:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
Having a A/V program in the background does not mean he is running a scan while gaming (me hopes). AVG is pretty lightwight, and don't see why this would cause any problems while even gaming (I don't have any problems, atleast).

I would bet against it being a memory problem, and more of a malware/virus problem. As every Windows user knows, if you have unprotected websex, you will catch a virus. Case in point: my sister. I have to wipe her computer clean every 4 months or so because she refuses to take my advice and always presses the "Yes" button on sites that installs ActiveX, Java, anything so she can play some online game. So after 4 months, there are so much virii and malware on the system that it goes from a capable machine to mind-boggling slow.

Of course, I base this information on nothing and comes with absolutely no warranty Smile.

It could be a memory problem as a result of malware (which is what I would assume). CSS like to MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH on RAM, and doesn't like it when you take away its food.

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:05:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I don't think the memory problem that malware generally causes would physically damage the RAM, which would be what the tests of memtest86+ checks for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: